Heatsink die-casting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At first you'll probably have a bit of a time cutting a good, smooth pattern, once you get the hang of it you should be okay though. Remember that every filthy little speck and blemish on the finish of the foam is carried to the casting, and same goes for the sand - use good, fine sand. It doesn't need to be bonded.
Be sure to pour hot and stay out of the fumes! ;)

Tim

hi guys im a new guy on the block

now down to business
there is no problem machining your cast alloy
i just use a bit of lube so it does not stick to the tools
its the heat with no lube that makes it stick

kero is ok
soluble oil very good
turps with some auto trans fluid too
on the cheap you could find a lot of things work

use with some ventilation as the heat will make it fume
but the surface fantastic

I may have missed it, but I did not see if the sink is to be used with forced air (fan) or is convection cooled. If convection, it's important that the fin finish be very smooth. You'll have a boundary layer, with a layer of stagnant air between the fin and the moving air, and it is much worse with a rough finish.

I'd suggest looking at HS manufacturers' data sheets for info on C/W, fin spacing, etc. It's been a while but Wakefield (??) had a site that had a tool that let you "design" a custom sink design, and gave you cooling data based on air volume.

At higher temperatures, radiation can become a factor as well, hence the common black anodizing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.