Heating water for coffee - efficiently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Yes, I've read that, how dumb were they?

Careful there mate, we're related to those people. :)

The only difference between a "smart" person and an average person is that the smart person is driven more or towards in that field than an average person would be. Yeah that is a generalization but also an observation.

A common misconception in modern society is that we are somehow smarter than people of the past. Nothing could be further from the truth, we are still threatened by nuclear war, still struggling over the perfect taste of our boiled water in cups of tea and coffee, still watching shows like South Park, The Simpsons.

Still laughing over fart jokes.
Still drinking alcohol.

I could go on and on. Then again some of that stuff isn't as bad. But drinking water from the sewer, NO, DON'T DO THAT STUFF!

Really important! Don't forget to avoid the toilet water!

I think the stupidest thing I've ever seen recently has been hearing doctors that I've spoken to talk about me and other people as if they are superior because of their genetics. And because they're ******** and because they are snotty. The fact that they are making that statement at all means that they are extremely stupid. They are forgetting the fact that there is no possible way that they could ever prove that they are smarter or that other people are stupider, I'm sure that the people involved with genetic research couldn't even do so. I know of no current scientific method to measure the difference in intelligence between two individuals. So why did they make that statement, that they are smarter? Because they are ********.

But I'm sure that some genetic researchers are stuck up little pricks who think that they are smarter than others: Why Are Some People So Smart? The Answer Could Spawn a Generation of Superbabies | WIRED

And in addition to that they are forgetting the fact that human beings are merely computers, if you enter bad information into any computer you will get a bad result on the output, same thing with human beings. So people are not inherently stupider than others by most measurable means.

The problem I fear is that quite a few people are now beginning to believe that some people are genetically superior to others and as a result of this they are being snotty towards others. Its genetic discrimination and an extremely dangerous one at that.

But me? No I quite often remember things as the opposite of what they really are. Not sure what is wrong but I do know that about 15 years ago due to extreme stress my brain just snapped and began remembering things the opposite of what they were for some reason.

Wish it would stop doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if its related to my diet.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Um... back on topic -

I'll have my wife be on the lookout for a small, used electric kettle in the thrift shops. If I can get one cheap, and keep it out of the landfill for a few more years that's not a bad bargain. Heating up the water in 1 minute would be terrific.

The heat coming out on the hot side is the electrical energy put in plus the heat moved away from the cold side. For heating, better than 100% (I know, I know, doesn't make sense at first).

The internal dissipation goes out both sides and lowers the delta T or net heat flux which is pretty limited with a single Peltier junction (far less than the 140 degrees F you would need). Actually it can't be better than 100% in fact in reverse the efficiency (delta T to current) is abysmal.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting because boiling the water is an easy and quick method to get that darned dissolved oxygen out of the water and back into the air where it belongs.

Based on observation boiling removes oxygen from the water, and microwaving adds it. Could be wrong but that appears to be the case.

I'm 5 meters above sea level here and run things until they boil. (The kettle whistles, the water in the microwave visibly boils if not "superheated.")

My microwave is about 30cm above the receptacle and those pesky ground electrons are still getting into my boiling water.. :p

And at least here in the States, most of us have some dirty of halogen added to the water to prevent/kill biological material. Heating, or even letting the water sit overnight will degas most of that.

So who wants to leave a cup of water out all day and see if it affects the taste of tea versus fresh from the tap? (Microwave heating, of course) ;)

I could rant about Portland's policy to not fluoridate due to public perception (And stupidity) but I'll stop there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Ah yes but you may have unwittingly stumbled upon a solution as to the reason why microwaved water tastes different than traditionally boiled water using a heating element.

The conclusion from that paper is that the chemical reactions occurring in tap water are sped up in a microwave oven, so the water "oxidizes" or "ages" quicker and actually becomes less viscous, similar to how engine oil loses its viscosity as it ages.

Basically what its saying is that chemical reactions are occurring quicker in the water/hydrogen peroxide mix when exposed to microwave radiation.

If that is occurring in tap water then there may be all sorts of changes in the water chemistry as a result of not only dissolved solids reacting but also dissolved chemicals.

Basically its not only heating (vibrating) the water molecules it is also breaking the bonds between atoms.

I wouldn't be microwaving my water anytime soon.

Last edited:
So what I'm gathering from that paper is that microwave irradiation of water and hydrogen peroxide causes the chemical reaction of hydrogen peroxide and water to occur far more quickly?

Interesting.

So what you are implying is that water chemically reacts with other chemicals in the water when placed in a microwave oven.

I unfortunately don't have institutional access, but a first read of the extended abstract suggests to me that it'd be a bit bold to take any assumptions from it.

Similarly, I'd like to say that 2.4 GHz and 10 GHz irradiation is different from 2.4 MHz in terms of its effect on water. Can't see the plots to see just how much the H2O2 concentration increases, nor could I find what sorts of h2o2 concentrations are present in heated water in general.

Not to say that boiled and microwaved water doesn't taste different, but this is hardly the paper to hand that on. :)

I use structured water for coffee brewing! :cool:
Structured Oxygenated water | Metabunk
Structured Water Pseudoscience and Quackery

btw, I do also use a kettle for brewing coffee, but I pour the boiling hot water immediately over the coffee ground only so much it gets soaked completely but not more, wait until all has drained into the pan or cup before pouring another batch boiling water.
I am aware of the "correct water temperature" for a good brew, but to my taste buds I just get better results when pouring boiling water, I believe what happens is, the water cools down quite quickly when it comes in contact with the coffee ground and filter cone, so pouring boiling water allows the mix to reach closer to the optimum temperature at when the essential oils etc releases, or what ever chemistry is going behind releasing all the wonderful aromas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.