Heathkit IO-18 oscilloscope, worth repairing or scavange parts?

Hi,
I've had two heathkit devices that where gifted to Me some years ago. One IO-17 and one IM-18.
I decided to see if they worked today, and the IM-18 jumped to life after I don't know how many years, sadly the IO-17 didn't as far as I could tell.
I'd expected the small crt to light up if it worked.

The schematics was easy enough to find. I haven't found manuals for them, yet.

Anyway, is there any point in repairing the old oscilloscope (I don't have one) or should I just remove transformer etc from it and then scrap it?

It has been my experience the power transformers fail. I have had a few develop shorts in the CRT filament supply. At first I bought the replacement transformer but that also failed. So instead I inserted a small 1/1 transformer between the filament and the bad transformer. Ibises a flat pack dual bobbin version to get the high voltage isolation.

The other failure mode was the high voltage film capacitors shorted. The official replacement parts were upgraded and worked. But you should be able to get the parts today from most larger supply houses.

Not really hard to fix if you keep your body parts away from live high voltage.

It has been my experience the power transformers fail. I have had a few develop shorts in the CRT filament supply. At first I bought the replacement transformer but that also failed. So instead I inserted a small 1/1 transformer between the filament and the bad transformer. Ibises a flat pack dual bobbin version to get the high voltage isolation.

The other failure mode was the high voltage film capacitors shorted. The official replacement parts were upgraded and worked. But you should be able to get the parts today from most larger supply houses.

Not really hard to fix if you keep your body parts away from live high voltage.

Thanks for your reply :)
These units have apparantly actually been used by an engineer in his work.
I'll have to find some sort of manual for both units, the schematics I have.

The probe I got with the IO-17 seem very clumsy and bulky for an oscilloscope. It is a heathkit probe with a switch on it.

I don't really feel comfertable working on these oldies without a clear idea of what I'm doing. I've worked with tubes a few times, only one time with "high voltage" tubes though.

It's my experience that tube gear in general is very sturdy, more so than transistor or chip based gear.

Hi Chris,
Yes that and I need to move my solder station etc into the house again. I moved it all out to the shed to please the mrs. Not working out though as the work position is killing me. I've got damages on C5 to C7 in my neck.
Too many years at the gym with alot of weights (squats and such) pressing on my spine.

Also got a diy CNC mill Project going. It's going to be nice being able to make "one of" boards at home, not having to send files to a board house with minimum order quantities.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mayday,
I have damaged C5 and C6. They won't operate until it degenerates much more. I assume your situation is similar?

It'll be nice to be in the house where the weather isn't a concern. Build something for her, a gadget or something. Bribery works!

-Chris

Hello all,

I have a Heathkit IO-12 oscilloscope that has an issue with the power transformer. I want to get this scope working again. Is there anyone who has had to revert to newer parts to supply all of the voltages? I've not been able to locate an off-the-shelf replacement and could really use some assistance!

Thanks,

LutherG

I would not expect to find a standard transformer with all the right voltages. If one winding has failed, maybe you can add a transformer.

BTW, when I saw this thread pop up, I thought "Wow! Another Heathkit IO-17! What are the odds..." :)
Ed

io17.jpg