• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heaters & Filaments: AC vs. DC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It depends on frequency. At 60Hz the magnetic field created by an AC voltage is very small. At 60MHz it is a million times bigger, because the magnetic field comes from the time differential of the voltage.

Hi DF96

B(AC) = [ U(AC) x 10^8 ] / [ sqr (2) * (Pi) * S * f ]

If U(AC) is fixed, I would say it is the other way around.
I hope it's a typo.

Best regards
Johann

Any current generates a magnetic field, both AC and DC. So an AC current generates an AC field. In addition, an AC voltage generates an AC magnetic field.

Can you explain better, I think slowly and still do not understand.
With math, please, we are talking about physics, not philosophy.

In post # 36 I took the trouble to do all the calculations, and I'm just a TV repairman, I can not expect less from you, having a Ph.D. degree.

If you're right I will apologize, as appropriate between gentlemen.

Best regards
Johann

Maxwells original equations are well beyond forum chit-chat I suggest. Specific design equations, eg. for transformer winding design, are meant to be assessed in that context (eg. a winding of turns on a core with a voltage applied to the winding and all flux passing through the entire winding).

Heater current/voltage impact has been a problem since the dawn of valves. They've been writing technical papers on the topic for more than 80 years.

http://dalmura.com.au/projects/OPERATION OF THE HEATERS.pdf

There is a plethora of reviewed technical articles on heater related topics - even down to the field 3d orientation and magnitude resulting from twisted cables of various configurations (ie. if you want minimal induction to another wire then don't cross at a simple right angle - get that protractor out ;-).

Ciao, Tim

curl B = mu_0 J (current) + mu_0 eps_0 dE/dt (time differential of electric field)

See Wikipedia.

As I said, the magnetic field has two 'sources': current and rate of change of voltage with time. I say 'sources' rather than sources because Maxwell's equations do not specify causality but merely equate things.

Similarly, the electric field has two 'sources': charge and rate of change of magnetic field. The big difference is that for the magnetic field both are curling sources, but for the electric field the charge 'source' is diverging. If you don't know vector calculus this might not mean much.

Why are we discussing elementary EM theory, available widely on the web and in many textbooks at all levels of understanding?

Sa can we conclude that static electricity (huge voltage, no current flowing) produce a huge magnetic field?:confused:

LOL!

Yes the penetrating insight here has been enormous. :D

Taking the Electromagnetic Field in hand,

ehfield-tempest.jpg

We can see by using the Quantum Tunneling Model here:

alpapolon.gif

that we get a Spin-field around each Electron-+Ion pair as follows:

hydrogen421.jpg

This results in the following Energy Exchange Evolution:

F5.large.jpg

Looking at the alignment of the metal-crystal domains, we see:

magdom1.gif

Complimentary Attraction of Ionized particles to the Cathode Surface gives:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A quick calculation shows:

hqdefault.jpg

And so we can expect:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
curl B = mu_0 J (current) + mu_0 eps_0 dE/dt (time differential of electric field)

See Wikipedia.

You do not know even write correctly Maxwell's equations.LOL
Where did you study physics?
That's not what I asked, the equation you mention is one of Maxwell's equations, but badly written, the magnetic field is H, not B, and the electric field is D, not E, J is current density, not current.
If the medium is not "homogeneous and isotropic", you can not treat epsilon and mu as in high school.
If by "time differential" you mean "time derivative" is also incorrect, because that is a partial time derivative.
See Eq (4) in the attachment, there is well written.
Oh! BTW, mind you, just in case that curl ( ) = [nabla operator] x ( )
div ( ) = [nabla operator] . ( )
Change in system of units is irrelevant.
I think you must use another more serious reference than Wikipedia.

I can understand that you confuse E and D, B and H, is quite common, even in textbooks, but I can not believe that you confuse derivative with differential.
Where did you study mathematics? or is the language barrier?

As I said, the magnetic field has two 'sources': current and rate of change of voltage with time. I say 'sources' rather than sources because Maxwell's equations do not specify causality but merely equate things.

Again WRONG, see te attachment, Eq(4), what you call current, is the current density J, and what you call rate of change of voltage with time, is the displacement current: partial time derivative of D.
Voltage, not rate of change of voltage with time, is implicit in Eq(3), as I showed in Eq(7)...Eq(20)

Similarly, the electric field has two 'sources': charge and rate of change of magnetic field. The big difference is that for the magnetic field both are curling sources, but for the electric field the charge 'source' is diverging. If you don't know vector calculus this might not mean much.

You're right, the calculations made by my granny, I am just a TV repairman.:D

Why are we discussing elementary EM theory, available widely on the web and in many textbooks at all levels of understanding?

Good idea, you could really use one of them.:D

As I said, we are talking about physics, not philosophy, and you have not made any calculation to show me what I asked, that ironically is the same as you "corrected me".
I remind you that the language of physics is mathematics, leave the blah, blah, blah, for another forum.
I expected a proper response, yours is pathetic, you can not even explain what you "corrected me", not even know Maxwell's equations, you disappoint me.
I think that you bought your Ph.D.

Best regards
Johann

Attachments

• Eqn1.gif
    Eqn1.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Eqn2.gif
    Eqn2.gif
    29.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hi DF96
You really are amazing.
Since my first post in November 2010, systematically you persecute me, criticize me for no reason, you ashamed me every time you can.
And now you're the victim?

I remember one of my dogs, is a PITA, almost like you, but I can not punish him, places a face of "I was not".
Better not keep on going, lest we be friends someday.:eek:

Best regards
Johann

:cop: Please keep the discussion to technical issues.

I prefer not to even attempt to regurgitate my own distant recollection of 3rd year physics lectures, which is about the level of uni where Maxwells equations were only just starting to become understandable (both from a mathematics, physical and electrical engineering appreciation). I suggest this is the wrong forum to espouse any such topic, and further suggest diverting such effort to the submission of a peer-reviewed journal paper for us all to appreciate in the future.

The OP was floating two poorly detailed views of why two people had moved from using AC to DC heaters. The background or reasoning to those two reactions wasn't clearly described then, and hasn't been advanced much in this thread.

Ciao, Tim

I read somewhere that with dc supplies it's recommended to reverse the polarity from time to time.

I think the poster had some fancy scheme to auto-change direction at power up.

Hi Bigun
Nice to see you around here.
Your idea may be an improvement for my suggestion in post # 3 and post # 22, and if the polarity reversal can be done every time you turn on the amplifier, would be almost perfect.
Even for long-term effects, especially with direct heated cathodes.

Best regards
Johann

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.