heat sink question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if its possible and enough to use just a raw piece of aluminum 4mm thickness vertically oriented that is going to be something like 8 cm wide and 60 cm long for a heatsink for a typical 60W class AB amplifier with a couple of 1943-5200

Transistors are going to be fitted in the down side and the all construction will be standing up so i expect the heat to distribute vertically starting from down and going up

any comments ?

Joined 2011
I am no expert in thermal, but mass is one thing, the surface area to radiate heat and the heat traveling path are totally different thing. You only have 8cm wide. Maybe if you use more transistor in parallel to span the width, that will help.

Last edited:
Is this a stereo amp or mono? If stereo are both channels on the same sink? With only 4mm of thickness conduction may be a problem unless you plan to spread the transistors out a bit as Alan0354 stated. This will be especially true if two 60W channels are on the same bar. An L-Channel like the dynaco one would be better as it would put some of the heat from the L channel into the lower panel it is connected to.

Something like this I'm assuming?

Attachments

• Transis_Heat_bar2.jpg
    Transis_Heat_bar2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Transis_Heat_bar1.jpg
    Transis_Heat_bar1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 189
Vcc^2/(10*RL) = real world power dissipation.

[(V+abs(V-)]^2)/(2*pi*pi*RL)

If you're designing for 8R Pdmax is 31W requiring a heatsink of 2.8 C/W, for 4R, it's 62W requiring a heatsink of 0.96 C/W

If you were to use aluminum flashing, you'd need ~40 square inches in free air to attain 2.8 C/W

TI took the "Overture Design Guide" (from Nat Semi) off their website. It's an Excel file which I am having difficulty attaching. PM me if interested.

I don't know the purpose of your amp and your budget. But I would buy the right heatsink. I just bought and received two of this: 2 Pieces Dense Teeth Fin Heat Sink for Power Amplifier Heatsink 300 69 36mm | eBay

Total for $61 something. I just received them. I am sure they are going take 60W each easily. I am using these two to nail onto the wood prototype platform to build my amp. Debug and tune before I even try to drill into the expensive chassis.

60cm long piece is not going to make a day to day liveable amp!!! You have to worry about how it fit at home, even on the bench!!! Don't try to save a penny and loss a dollar.

Attached is my heatsink with TO-264 MJL1302 to serve as size reference.

Attachments

• HS BJT.jpg
    HS BJT.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 163
  • HS.jpg
    HS.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
C/W of alum. 'L' stock

I actually have a couple Dyna 120's and that got me to thinking about what I could do with aluminum 'L' stock for a heat sink. I know fins are better, but I have a LOT of aluminium 1/8" x 2" x 2" 'L' stock. Can anyone tell me how to calculate the C/W of a given length? I know it is not a linear function, but is there a formula for just an aluminium bar? (I'll take the dissipation onto base as bonus.)

Try this doc. Contains data for a simple Vertical Plate.
Heatsinks improve reliability
That is what I was looking for. I did not think it was a linear function as shown, but it sure makes life easier. It doesn't take into consideration thickness, but maybe that works more like a capacitance to sink heat until unit reaches steady state and then surface area is all that matters. Sort of makes empiric sense.
Thanks

That is what I was looking for. I did not think it was a linear function as shown, but it sure makes life easier. It doesn't take into consideration thickness, but maybe that works more like a capacitance to sink heat until unit reaches steady state and then surface area is all that matters. Sort of makes empiric sense.
Thanks

The graphs are more clear in this reference. Shows the asymptotic behavior clearly.

How to Select a Suitable Heat Sink

Attachments

• How to Select a Suitable Heat Sink.png
    How to Select a Suitable Heat Sink.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.