Hearing and the future of loudspeaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
^
Err, then exactly what are you disagreeing with? Maybe you misunderstood my post and/or didn't read all of them in context? The discussion started a coupsle of pages ago with http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...future-loudspeaker-design-21.html#post3671102

I think I might get more confused if I read 27 pages.

I might be the the only 'XTC person' who has looked into optimising them for ITD, so it is lonely, but I don't need a friend that bad, but feel free to give my Strange Binaural(tm) recordings some stars!:D

^
How did you do the recording?

See notes on recent recordings windy wood 2, and rain on ploycarbonate 2. Also some information if you select packs DW and Birds. The woodpecker file has some really distant sounds. Anything else, just ask. Your feedback is much appreciated. I really need to know if they only work for just me.. Most of the downloaders just want FX for videos etc. . The HD 219s have built-in foam damping/attenuation. I think this helps a lot. Certainly any distortions/refections tend to produce remnants of sounds close to the head and this tends to collapse the whole thing. I get this effect with some other phones. I would not expet IEMs to work well without considerable EQ. The dummy head is pretty flat itself with no post EQ used. I recorded continuously at quite a low level at 24 bits with no bass cut. I then just cut to length, cut below 20 Hz and normalized (no mixing) with Audacity.and exported to MP3 Thanks.

Last edited:
Are you using individualized pinnae?

Yes they are casts of my own ears. However.. they have been drilled and ground away to dampen and flatten them acoustically. Acoustically they would not be like blocked meatus, part blocked meatus, or putting a mic at the eardrum position, with or without a tube to terminate reflections, like Greissinger http://www.gbcasa.org/cms/audio/Griesinger-Binaural-Hearing-EarCanals-Headphones.ppt I have various ears in soft vinylmold, brass (coldcast), hot-melt glue, and rigid 'Fastcast' polyurethane, This was the latter, mainly as it is easiest to machine and use. There are several mic capsules used, Behringer B5, and Primo EM172. When they are all summed together, as many as five mic inputs/channel, the result is not the same as popping a WM61A in an ear. It really should not work at all!

We're talking about a binaural recording here, which is not intended for speaker playback...

It works quite well with my Creative T40 speakers. Under the armpits seems good! There is an 'Ambio' version of the bonfire file on there as well. It suffers from a bit of nastiness from the MP3 and XTC filters. The headphone version of this sounds too close on phones, but can sound better on speakers on either side of the head. This was recorded in a an open field with a few Landrovers and diggers parked around, so it is a bit 'dry' without some redistribution of reflected sound by speakers and room. The built-in player on freesound works ok(ish) for most files, but wind, rain, and sea suffer worst without downloading. There are some fine binaural and stereo sounds by many other people on there.

Yes they are casts of my own ears.

That's probably the reason why it works so well for you but doesn't for me. My pinna shape doesn't look any special but most generalized pinnae or pinnas from other people simply don't work.

There are several mic capsules used, Behringer B5, and Primo EM172. When they are all summed together, as many as five mic inputs/channel, the result is not the same as popping a WM61A in an ear. It really should not work at all!

Not sure I understand. You have all mics placed at the virtual ear drum??

That's probably the reason why it works so well for you but doesn't for me. My pinna shape doesn't look any special but most generalized pinnae or pinnas from other people simply don't work.

I hope it a headphone issue. I have had reasonable results from vestigial ears made from chewing gum. Most other binaural recordings have frontal and up/down and depth issues, for me. They basically do left/right and a sense of space only. Once I 'fixed' the front/back issue, the rest came, more or less, for free.

Not sure I understand. You have all mics placed at the virtual ear drum??

Some are near coincident/coaxial, some are not.

Well, playing binaural recordings over loudspeakers creates major spectral aberrations because HRTFs are applied twice.

That sort of depends on how severe the recorded HRTFs are. If they are diffuse field equalized and the recording is of a diffuse field, then there is not much of a problem, for example.. If the dummy head is 'flat' in all directions then that would be even better, if it ever worked at all..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.