Headphone Amp based on American Beauty Buffer

This amplifier is based on American Beauty Buffer https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/1w-7-components-american-beauty-buffer.331274/
The clever idea is by @diegomj1973

Suitable for 8-64 Ohm headphones.
Distortion is low THD 0.0001%
The +/-12V supply should be well regulated. Use voltage regulators.

Headphone American Beauty Buffer.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Nice. The concept has the vibes of a White cathode follower and JLH but it is neither. Very elegant and zen, if you ask me. My only concern is operating the first 9610 at 2.8 mA, which is very much in the nonlinear area. But it seems to work. Now someone will have to build and make sure the sim matches reality.

Nice. The concept has the vibes of a White cathode follower and JLH but it is neither. Very elegant and zen, if you ask me. My only concern is operating the first 9610 at 2.8 mA, which is very much in the nonlinear area. But it seems to work. Now someone will have to build and make sure the sim matches reality.

Yes, curious how the real circuit measures. I’ve used the IRF9610 in a folded cascode, as the VAS of an amplifier. I got a THD of 0.0034% at 4 volts RMS, no feedback. That stage had +\- 70V rails though, but it did come very close to the sim. Sometimes they do , sometimes horribly off.