• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Have you seen this tester?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Absolutely. I've taken cracking photographs in Toronto at this time of year out in the snow. I took all sorts of valve sockets etc out and fiddled about with different lenses until I got the best result. I wore a thick woolly pully and avoided kneeling in the snow. The first rule of good photography is loads of light. Here's an example (taken on two foot of snow and a bit of paper).

Attachments

• submerged octal.jpg
    submerged octal.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 250
lol poo thats an awsome idea.. heh. and i probably have the tube surplus right now to try it.

must.. find.. black round wastebaskets.

cool ecc that is a really detailed photograph. my digital camera isnt the greatest but i'll do what i can with it tomorrow.

Smak,

I did some googling for ya; can't find smack... diddly... uh... anything.

But you know, this ain't rocket science. I imagine when you get inside you could measure around a bit. Probabl;y a cascade of B+ voltages, plate resitors, heaters and all. You could make up a chart of what each socket represented.

Pretty frustrating when you realize there had to be THOUSANDS of those things around. I swear I used that very model as teen...

Good luck!

BTW, I did get a strange hit at tubedepot.com... might be worth an email to them?

Hell, we found a manual for anatech's 70 year old scope!

Crack that bad boy open... maybe ther is more info inside.

In the 1960's almost every corner store had a tube tester with a cabinet full of tubes underneath. They were basic emission testers with many different sockets. The idea was that they could be operated by anyone without a lot of thinking. The charts were simple, just told you which socket, and maybe what filament voltage. People actually fixed their own TV sets. Most 60's TV's ate tubes often, so you could often fix one with a tube tester.

Your tester looks like one of these. I am not sure but the logo might be Elmenco.

Those labels appeared about the same time that the glowing glass thingies dissapeared. I worked in a TV repair shop when the RCA XL100 solid state TV came out. When the shop owner tried to fix it it smoked, a lot. He went out of business within a couple of years.

I crossed over to the dark side (SS repair) and got a job running the service department of a stereo store. We still had one of those tube testers in the corner, and sold Westinghouse tubes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And the bottom view, notice the calibration controls on the supply. This was clearly an emission tester, with a lit sign on top (socket on side). You can see where two bolts held it on a frame.

-Chris

Attachments

• smaks tester bot (small).jpg
    smaks tester bot (small).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 198
the plot thickens

hope that meeting works out for you Chris.. good luck and thnx for posting those shots.

if you like my tester, some of the email queries i sent last night (thanks again poob) came back today.. there used to be something called a UTEST thats very similar.

check it out

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

still no roll chart though.. maybe i'll ask retroaudiolab for the number of sockets and if its 132 also then find some very-used tubes on that method.

oh and ec i'll get more pics for you later today.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.