Has anyone taken the body off a Denon DL103?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cygnus x1

Very good pics!

Now take some warmed up epoxy mix and liberaly (where has spellcheck gone?) fill the area around the top of the yoke, the rear angle and the wires at the point where they are laying alongside the chassis. ( I have been out tonight and am tired.) Tomorrow I will drag a pic into Photoshop and attempt to post the pics with the applicable areas shown. That will have at least the same or greater effect than simply taking the body off.

Interesting stuff!!!

I have played around with Ebony blocks and found the results interesting. Good on top of some speakers and even electronics but poor as supports/footers.

I am rather tempted to transform a (Myrtle) Cardas Golden Cuboid in to a body as these blocks are very good as supports.

I sent Cardas an e mail with the idea too. Lets see what they say.

What woodworking tools do I need to hollow out a body like that? Will I have a chance with a dremel and a "milling" bit?

Are there screw inserts/nuts in these wooden bodies?

Hope that this works...

IF I can drag the doctored image into this post I will be pleased!! Let me know if the image does not open for you!

The green overtone shows where to put the epoxy. (Be careful that any 'loaded' epoxys do NOT contain conductive material).

Warm the mixed epoxy until it is thin enough to flow a little - but not too much. Use a WOOD or Plastic tool such as a toothpic/thin cocktail stick....NOT a magnetic probe!!!!

I could not get a colour to 'stay' along the top of the cartridge assembly top-plate line. Put plenty there. And also secure the lead out wires from the coils to the body in front of where they are soldered to the internal pin ends.

Put a good wedge at the rear of the suspension tube where it is mounted to the framework.

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 714
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Resurrecting old DL-103 thread

I'm planning on sending my ZU/Denon DL-103-1 to Soundsmith for a retip within the next couple of months and oddly I am thinking about acquiring another DL-103 or perhaps a DL-103R and installing it in either a Soundsmith wood body or one of the ones sold out of Australia here on eBay: wooden body for Denon DL103 DL-103 made in Australia - eBay (item 250770994098 end time Mar-11-11 01:19:17 PST)

Has anyone compared a DL-103 and the DL-103R and can state what they perceive to be the strengths or weaknesses of one against the other. Nuding and installing in a wood body doesn't seem too difficult, but there is clearly some risk. I have yet to watch the video.

The plan is for the Zu to live on an Orsonic headshell, and the other DL-103/R may end up on another Orsonic or perhaps a Yamamoto.

Ultimately I'm going to be using these cartridges on a 12" Schick transcription tone arm so anyone using this arm with either of these cartridges would be most welcome to comment.

Has anyone compared a DL-103 and the DL-103R and can state what they perceive to be the strengths or weaknesses of one against the other.

I have both here in stock form. The 103R has a much better top end than the 103. Buy the "R", or if you're really lucky, look for a "D", and then send either off to SoundSmith.

Orsonic headshell

One of "the" coolest looking headshells ever IMHO.

jeff

I don't want "amazing" I want "music"... :D

Music without any holes, or too much zing on the top, or the "Shure" sound (boom and sizzle), or the Grado sound (all mid, all the time)... few carts I have heard compare with the Koetsu line, and the Black sounds like a more refined and better top end 103... whereas the Rosewood is a bit gentler on the top end than the Black which to me is a bit more dynamic although perhaps not as smooth... at least that has been my perception.

All I want is the music to "live" and to come off the disc effortlessly. But that's me and my way of looking at it.

_-_-bear

PS. the phono stage plays a major role in what one hears, so you have to take everything in light of that... as does the arm and TT... it is a closely coupled sub-system in that sense...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have both here in stock form. The 103R has a much better top end than the 103. Buy the "R", or if you're really lucky, look for a "D", and then send either off to SoundSmith.

One of "the" coolest looking headshells ever IMHO.

jeff

I'll try to get my hands on a good 103R or perhaps a D then..

Yes the Orsonic is cool looking, and works very well with the Zu. The additional mass made a significant improvement in warp tracking (under damped before) and improved the bottom end significantly. Other changes all subtle were also improvements. Scored a new one on eBay this morning for a reasonable if not stellar discount.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I replaced the body on a DL-103R...on the second try. Bent the stylus and broke it. :crying: :crying:

It is not easy. The most extreme care when removing the body is paramount.
I can't stress that enough. If you think you are being careful when removing the body, you need to be even more careful!

Anyway...I bought a second 103R and sucessfully installed a Midas aluminum body. Sent the first 103R to Soundsmith for repair w/ Ruby stylus.

There is a video on youtube.com on how to remove it.
If I could make one suggestion. At all times you should watch the stylus when removing body from the 103R. If you have to exact any kind of force to remove the body, it means the glue is still holding the body to the cartridge. Go back and use a very fine blade to carefully cut through all the glue on the 4 corners. See the video on youtube.com.
An Exact-O blade is not fine enough and that is what I used. Find a finer, but strong blade. The Exact-O medium bent back and forth a lot.

Good Luck!

Vince

AudiogoN ForSale: Midas Denon 103 / 103R

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.