Has anybody made an ELS headphone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh,Okay !!! he,he,he

Still would like to hear of your results.
Later this year I will try it though after I get my new little panels built.

Wachara,
I can't believe that it has been a whole year now since I had started my Esl Headphone's and have yet to finish them!!

I think that I will use your method of wood to support the frames now that I have finally gotten my stator coating down pat for the wire mesh stator method.

jer :)

Here is another pair that is almost done:

0962e66b.jpg

bc91fd12.jpg

DSC_3742.jpg

DSC_3747.jpg

DSC_3752.jpg

The driver has the same size as the famous Orpheus HE90. They sound really nice. ;)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Read this and the similar thread over at DIY Audio and I think I might have to have a crack at a set. Spent the evening on Sketchup and have began designing the stator and spacer.
stator.jpg

spacer.jpg

Ever so slightly ripped off from one of chinsettawong's designs. Do they seem ok so far? They're both 90mm in diameter so you have an idea of scale.

Hi - sounds interesting that you are using sketchup for this. Any chance you can post some pictures of your drawings? And also which file format do you output from Sketchup? I'm interested in drawing headphones myself, however, probably would need an .stl output format - for use with a 3D printer.

Greetings,

Jesper

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi again,

Just out of curiosity - any of you made a single-ended headphone, i.e. with only one stator (could be with two stators but only one of them connected to the output signal)? I know that theoretically it's less optimal (due to varying electric fields when the membrane moves, I understand) but any of you tried it in practice? It would allow for a single-ended amp ....

Best regards,

Jesper

Hi again,

Just out of curiosity - any of you made a single-ended headphone, i.e. with only one stator (could be with two stators but only one of them connected to the output signal)? I know that theoretically it's less optimal (due to varying electric fields when the membrane moves, I understand) but any of you tried it in practice? It would allow for a single-ended amp ....

Best regards,

Jesper

Hi Jasper,

Even though I haven't tried it, but I figure that the efficiency will be very low.

Wachara C.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Jasper,

Even though I haven't tried it, but I figure that the efficiency will be very low.

Wachara C.

Hi Wachara,

Thanks for replying ;-) I'm wondering though - since the membrane is very, very close to the stator I would assume that the drop in the electric field at the place(s) where the membrane moves would be very, very little ... Yet the extra stator adds the double voltage (on the other side of "zero") so might it be that the efficiency loss is 6 dBs (=20*log½)?

Any of you have insights on this?

Greetings,

Jesper

Joined 2007
Paid Member
HE 90 size ...

The driver has the same size as the famous Orpheus HE90. They sound really nice.

Hi again Chinsettawong,

Now I'm in the process of making a model of the stators for an ES headphone and would like to do make like the HE 90 stators you show in #407. You say that the stators you use are the same size as the ones in HE 90 .. Can you say what the dimensions of the active area is?

Greetings,

Jesper M.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.