Has anybody made an ELS headphone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Wachara and everyone,
I finaly got around to start constructing some headphones.
I have already designed a direct drive amplifier for them as well using 4 fet's and two dual opamps(times two ofcourse).

I just need to get some hvfet's,although I have learned to stack the low voltage ones as well.
Mean while the transformers are standing by.

They are designed to be taken apart and reassembled easily so that different diagphram types can be swap out as well as d/s spacing adjustment by adding gaskets.

Also I will incorperate a slide plugin that will slide into the side of the frame sandwich.

I drew it up in tiny cad (a free program) and can easily change the shape and size of diagphram and just cut some new spacers (I just relised that my thinnest material is not wide enough by about an 1/8",oops!).

I have been thinking about using the shape of an egg for the diagphram area aswell.

Right now I am contemplating on a stator design as I have several options and finishing up the connector patterns. jer

Attachments

• HEADPHONE.jpg
    HEADPHONE.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 423
yes ,my orginal plan is to use a wire mesh.

Recently I had discovered diy anodizing and was thinking about giving it a try.

Then as I was reading through this thread it was mention that a piano wire stator works good aswell and I have lots of 1/16" tig wire.

I also have some preforated aluminium with 3/32" holes on 3/16" staggered centers that I used to build my very first panels.

In which case would probably okay.

However I was not particularly impressed with the transperency by doing a simple test of holding a peice of it next to my ear and listening to various sources at a low level.

I detected some sort of ringing and/or restriction in the sound passing through it.
This may not be an issue once mounted and coated.
This would be the easiest way to go.

But the window screen of course was undetectable.

I am currently trying to figure out how I can glue it to the support frame and keep it perfectly flat without it sticking to the construction surface while mantaining perfect alignment. jer

p.s. I never did put my mini driver back together and give it a proper testing.
That is also another option.

Last edited:
Hi Jer,

To tell you the truth, I listened to them for a week and I decided to take out the middle stators. Now they are just normal electrostatic headphones. But, they sound better this way. I'll try in the future what JonasKarud suggested.

No, sorry. I don't know anybody by that name.

Wachara C.

Hi Jer,

No, what I did was quite different. I made 3 stators. The one in the middle was made from a double sided PCB. The configuration was similar to having 2 sets of ESL placing series to one another. My thought was that having 2 sets, the efficiency would be better than one. I thought that I could hear deeper and more powerful bass. But, somehow, it didn't turn out the way I thought. Perhaps, it's something I did wrong. I'm not sure. Maybe, I'll revisit this idea again in the future.

Wachara C.

Hi everyone

I found this thread yesterday and find it very interesting. I am going to ask a question that is not exactly related to headphones - so I apoligize if I am out of line. The headphones appear to be similar in size to small compression drivers used on horn loudspeakers. So, does anyone know if these types of headphone drivers would work on a horn? Does anybody have a horn that they could mount their headphone to as a test. I will keep this short and appreciate any responses. If there is any interest in this topic, I could start a seperate thread.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Electrostatic headphones work exactly like large electrostatic loudspeakers. So, if you want to make them work as loudspeakers, all you have to do is increase the bias voltage and feed them a higher audio signal. I'm sure they will work. However, with the size being so small, you won't get very loud sound.

Wachara C.

Hi Dan there have been a few discussions about horn loading an esl.
Usualy someone ends up talking one out of it.

I, myself would like to try it with my small panels.

There is a guy currently horn loading his AMT's which are the perfect size for my small panels with a 3.25" X 9.75" diagpram.

They get extremely loud as is, A horn would be interesting.

I have also found one project using a large size panel aswell.
I think it would be a very interesting thread indeed with lots of different opinions.

Just thought I would throw that out there for one to think about. jer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.