Happy Cinco de Mayo

I actually went to the Jeffersonville IN Cinco de Mayo fest Sunday at the city outdoor venue. I had visions of guitars and trumpets, mariachis in black suits with chrome accents, mujeres in long dresses dancing and throwing the folds around, Like my father & I attended in Houston 2 years before his end. He landed & dispatched airplanes in 1942-3 in Guatamala, and had fond memories of a certain bar with cervesa. Probably memories of certain chicas linda, also. To the park I wore my camionero loco hat I bought in San Antonio. It is white straw, has a brim all the way around, and no Cat logo. I drove moving vans during the post VietNam recession since my new Physics degree was not good for anything that paid a wage.
What I found at the venue was one guy playing south Asian music on a keyboard, one food truck with chilies painted on the sides and one food truck with fruit ices. One latin looking couple bought Ices for their two preschool girls. As i prefer the lard corn beans & rice of good Tex-Mex food and never put the chilies from the red or green bottles on them, I passed on the food truck. I get great Tex-Mex food at San Pedro restaurant in Charlestown, once a week in summer. They recently added pepper to the salsa for the rest of the customers, but will bring me out a bowl of the tomatoes without the pepper dust if I ask for it. Pity I could not reach the Louisvlle Cinco de Mayo fest at 4th St live, but it was too far from my Sunday AM gig in Otisco to get there on a bicycle by closing time. Maybe next year Cinco de Mayo will be on a Monday that I usually spend in Jeff mowing my lawn.

Last edited: