• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hand winding output transformer for 832 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A local audiophile friend ask me to build a 832 amplifier for him , I hand wound a pair of output for his 832. Here's the video clip: YouTube

OPT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool....
Only thing I would suggest is to maintain a margin at the start and finish of each winding layer...since you do not have any creepage distance... so the OT could arc over on transients.. Another method is to run 1/2 tape width on the wall and other portion on winding layer , creating a "corner" with the tape...this allows wall to wall winding width with proper creepage... The winding the way it is now would not pass EU or UL requirements...

Thanks for your comment and suggestion. yes, I did left a little margin. I need to save some space for copper too. I have no arc over problem for my past 30+ years of transformer winding, but indeed, extra care are always needed for some high power/ high voltage tubes, such as 211, 845 etc, IMHO ,at least few 8mm per side are left empty.
Most of my hand wound OPT will vacuum-soak in either transformer lacquer, or wax. I seldom used transformer oil for opt though.
I will pot this with wax later.
Still enjoy hand-winding all my trans rather than using CNC winding machine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.