• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hammond SE Transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Pete,
the most surprising thing for me is that i have 0 hum:D , which is quite strange having in mind my layout ( AC crossing DC here and there). . I was expecting hum but nope, not even with my guitar speaker (99 db).I am not even using a choke. Umm... was wondering your cap values. I really don't know which design you followed but to me the sound was quite surprising for the money spent...quite good...my only criticism is the fact that sound seems sometimes slightly veiled, muddy,etc.
For guitar is too clean but i really get great tone with the help of a preamp.
Hope you get rid of your hummingbird.
Cheers

Congrats Alvaro! Nobody likes hum..

I also didn't use any chokes. Maybe a choke would help, but this amp is a cheapo-test-se-amp. The costs for 2 monoblocks was about 500-600eur. The hum is no more noticeable unless one puts his/her ear near the driver. My BL Horns are 100dB/1m/1w sensitive.

Amp is a mixture from different schemas found from net. So I don't have any link where you could check the values. I use a SE triode preamp to drive these monoblocks. Next project is cd-player + non oversampling dac.

Cheers!
-Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.