• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hammond Gripe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

Due to living in New Zealand our freight costs are almost as much as a transformer is worth so it pays to carefully selecting a transformer before ordering.

About seven years ago I build an amplifier and used the Hammond 370FX. Three years ago I build another amplifier and used the Hammond 370KX. The 370FX performed according to specifications, the 370KX did not and ran very hot as well.

I'm now embarking on another build and wonder what the recent experiences with Hammond Power transformers are.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 278CX which ran at 95c under load. When I asked them if it was normal, they replied a week later and sent me a new transformer and said that they had "reverted an engineering change". Indeed it runs about 10c cooler. Free of charge, and without any proof of purchase, too.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
The replies show why DIYaudio is so great, thanks to all.

Classic Tone does not have a suitable transformer, not enough current at the voltage needed.

Edcor it will have to be, will keep an eye on the paint and might have to order some extra bells that can be repainted. But it will not be a problem if I built the amp inside an enclosure. Perhaps sealing the paint with carwax may work too.

I recently bought an Antek power transformer and am altogether pleased with the price, quality, and accessibility. I'll admit though, the toroidal isn't a 1-1 replacement for a Hammond part and has some peculiarities of its own.

Also, Antek is headquartered in NJ so they must be cool people.

I recently bought an Antek power transformer and am altogether pleased with the price, quality, and accessibility. I'll admit though, the toroidal isn't a 1-1 replacement for a Hammond part and has some peculiarities of its own.

Also, Antek is headquartered in NJ so they must be cool people.

Agreed. Hammond transformers are cosmetically pleasing, while a toroid generally isn't. It's better to mount them inside the chassis if you can.

They also make some toroids that would be good candidates for HF linear amplifiers, including a 1500VA unit that has a pair of 950V 0.7A windings. It would be loafing with a legal limit amplier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.