Half-Chang with the Pioneer, finally!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
You know what they say...

"friends don't let friends listen to MP3s"

dave
I can listen to them just for everyday listening, but when I want to sit down, dim the lights and LISTEN to the beauty of music, there is no comparing CD or lossless :)

Most of the music that I encoded was by LAME, however the majority of my music I got from friends last year, so some of it is as low as 192kb, without any knowledge of the encoding :smash: Recently I had to go through my library and delete the albums that just didn't do it for me...

Any help with the BSC? I think I am going with the AMP5 from 41hz, so I will have a decent amount of power to work with (60-70rms). I think I will be fine with a classical BSC. However, if I can put it before the amplifier, that would be very beneficial....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
planet10 said:
I an sorry but that went WAY over my head :( Guess there is reason why I chose Mechanical Engineering over electrical hehe...

On a side note, I downloaded (gasp!) a FLAC version of Eric Clapton's unplugged album, wow what an improvement! Better imaging, quality, detail, by FAR then even 320kbps LAME encoding...

>>> Some of the tracks are in Mp3 format in 320kbps, the system finally brought out the impurities that everyone was talking about. Even at the highest bitrate, it was noticeably inferior to CD quality or lossless. For everyday listening it is fine, but I will be moving up to Lossless or CDs when I want it to sound GOOD.

I am in the same boat (not the Titanic referenced earler thank G-d) but the same mp3@320 boat. Most of my cd collection has been ripped at 320 but too much has also been ripped at 192 and some at 160. So i have been re ripping the last few weeks when i get the chance. Ripping has offered me the chance to better organize my collection. Now that everythinig is organized into Jazz, Rock and Classical and maybe half my collection is ripped at 320 (so i can enjoy the sound as well as the music) i am conisdering going lossless. I was wondering if simply using my laptop to rip to lossless WAV files was the way to go? I wonder if i need any special hardware for making the best WAV files. Does anyone know?

As for hearing the faults with mp3 even at 320 let me say that 320 sounds better to me than 192 especially in the treble region where i hear treble sounds going in and out. For example on a cymbal crash it could sound like this 'CRASH shh SHH shh SHH' instead of a natural diminishing sound.

If you hear the faults of mp3 - basically an overall grunge thru the sound - with the B20 do NOT upgrade to Fostex drivers. You will hear the faults even more.

Truly,
Godzilla

Godzilla said:
>>> Some of the tracks are in Mp3 format in 320kbps, the system finally brought out the impurities that everyone was talking about. Even at the highest bitrate, it was noticeably inferior to CD quality or lossless. For everyday listening it is fine, but I will be moving up to Lossless or CDs when I want it to sound GOOD.

I am in the same boat (not the Titanic referenced earler thank G-d) but the same mp3@320 boat. Most of my cd collection has been ripped at 320 but too much has also been ripped at 192 and some at 160. So i have been re ripping the last few weeks when i get the chance. Ripping has offered me the chance to better organize my collection. Now that everythinig is organized into Jazz, Rock and Classical and maybe half my collection is ripped at 320 (so i can enjoy the sound as well as the music) i am conisdering going lossless. I was wondering if simply using my laptop to rip to lossless WAV files was the way to go? I wonder if i need any special hardware for making the best WAV files. Does anyone know?

As for hearing the faults with mp3 even at 320 let me say that 320 sounds better to me than 192 especially in the treble region where i hear treble sounds going in and out. For example on a cymbal crash it could sound like this 'CRASH shh SHH shh SHH' instead of a natural diminishing sound.

If you hear the faults of mp3 - basically an overall grunge thru the sound - with the B20 do NOT upgrade to Fostex drivers. You will hear the faults even more.

Truly,
Godzilla
I think I will be using FLAC http://flac.sourceforge.net/

The files I have tried all sounded very good with no noticeable faults...Still save a little bit of space too...

Fast1one said:
I think I will be using FLAC http://flac.sourceforge.net/

The files I have tried all sounded very good with no noticeable faults...Still save a little bit of space too...

So where can I learn how to install FLAC on an older program which used LAME (Audiograbber or Goldwave?) Is it just a matter of installing to the same directory and having the program point to it?

my sig:

Please join my campaign to eliminate the tedious use of the word 'basically.'

Here is the reasoning::

The word "basically" is an overused verbal tick which demeans and condescends to the listener. It is at the same time a way for the speaker to inflate his own self esteem by flogging and repeating words that appear to emphasize personal knowledge.

It is a fault which has become, I fear, some sort of custom or accepted colloquialism. There, that catches up all the newbies.

loninappleton said:

So where can I learn how to install FLAC on an older program which used LAME (Audiograbber or Goldwave?) Is it just a matter of installing to the same directory and having the program point to it?

my sig:

Please join my campaign to eliminate the tedious use of the word 'basically.'

Here is the reasoning::

The word "basically" is an overused verbal tick which demeans and condescends to the listener. It is at the same time a way for the speaker to inflate his own self esteem by flogging and repeating words that appear to emphasize personal knowledge.

It is a fault which has become, I fear, some sort of custom or accepted colloquialism. There, that catches up all the newbies.
Funny signature :)

I would suggest doing some research on how to implement plugins to other programs, however take a look at the downloads page on the link I posted. You should find what you need there, I found plugins to play FLAC and other lossless files on Windows Media :cool:

**Regarding the BSC: I'm beginning to think that a BSC circuit is not something I want, instead I want to add a supra baffle, which I considered from the beginning. I don't have a lathe, so a truncated pyramid is the next best option...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

With an 8 inch driver, what would you guys recommend for size? I was thinking around 20+ inches in width, as the total width of the baffle pictured appears to be 6-8 inches larger than the driver itself from the edge of the speaker to the edge of the baffle ...

I can whip up a baffle fairly quickly, much more convenient for me personally...Its pretty big, but I can live with it :)

creeping basicallys

I mean no offense to new readers here. Like it says, this is my campaign. It goes everywhere: mostly to news interview programs on radio and streams. I have it on a macro and normally do not use sigs. But it was creeping in here as well.

Ok, I'll review programs check the download. Since the programs are 'set and forget' for my use, I don't want to juice up what I regularly use.

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
i am conisdering going lossless. I was wondering if simply using my laptop to rip to lossless WAV files was the way to go? I wonder if i need any special hardware for making the best WAV files. Does anyone know?

With the price of hard disk space these days i don't know why anyone would bother with compressed files.

As fast as i need them, i have been ripping my CDs into Apple Lossless using iTunes which works great (althou i understand iTunes on the PC is somewhat hampered quality-wise by going thru the Windows SDK).

With many of the PC magazines reporting that Macs are now the best hardware platform for Windows how long will it be before "you" have a Mac :) (sorry it is the macevangelist in me) -- looks like the new year will have me with my 1st Windows PC (XP running on Parallels on a MacBook Pro)

dave

Flac

I have ripped my entire collection to FlAC. For a ripper I use the ripper provided with Media Monkey, which I also use to organize the my files... although I am very lackadaisical about this.

For playback I use a Squeezebox with Slimserver running on a PC. Slimserver can also be run on a Mac. The digital out for the Squeezbox is run to Channel Islands DAC and then to my preamp. This is very sweet sounding system. Since going to a computer based system I can't ever see myself ever doing anything else. Its soo easy and convenient. I listen to a lot of music that I would probably just pass over.

Check out Squeezebox

Bill

planet10 said:

With the price of hard disk space these days i don't know why anyone would bother with compressed files.

As fast as i need them, i have been ripping my CDs into Apple Lossless using iTunes which works great (althou i understand iTunes on the PC is somewhat hampered quality-wise by going thru the Windows SDK).

With many of the PC magazines reporting that Macs are now the best hardware platform for Windows how long will it be before "you" have a Mac :) (sorry it is the macevangelist in me) -- looks like the new year will have me with my 1st Windows PC (XP running on Parallels on a MacBook Pro)

dave

About a year ago I wanted to see how good a multimedia machine I could make in Linux. Some stuff played ok, I got my news streams and real player working but the audio tools did not seem to be there.

I bring this up because Linux is supposed to be the platform that goes anywhere. It does. It just doesn't do enough when it gets there. I want to avoid getting anything but open source OS'es once my Win2k expires (is obsoleted from not being able to handle file sizes.)

Are the MAC chips that much superior or are you running some kind of dual boot setup? Ok, ok off topic. My bad.

:cannotbe:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
loninappleton said:
I want to avoid getting anything but open source OS'es once my Win2k expires (is obsoleted from not being able to handle file sizes.)

The kernel and everything below the graphics layer on the Mac are open source. (freeBSD sitting on a Mach kernel)

Are the MAC chips that much superior or are you running some kind of dual boot setup?

The new chips in the Mac are the same as you'll find in a windows PC, but because Apple has a much tighter environment they take advantage of features Windows doesn't as well as faster support infrastructure. And with XP running on a virtual machine in a window in IS X, the VM takes advantage of that (plus i only have to do in windows what i need -- MJK, TubeCAD, PSUD)

dave

Hehe, no worries guys...

Since I am changing amplifiers and preamps I am going to go with either the supra baffle or traditional BSC circuit...

Is this drawing:

-----------Tweeter+
-----------Tweeter-

---------BSC-------Woofer +
---------------------Woofer -

Correct? I can add an L pad or resister to the tweeter to attenuate it to match the woofer...

>>> With many of the PC magazines reporting that Macs are now the best hardware platform for Windows how long will it be before "you" have a Mac...

Last week i was at a prospect running a Windows server and noticed an empty Apple box waiting to be thrown out in the hallway right outside his door. Turns out the VP decided to buy a Mac as his main computer. He said he loves it and it works perfectly on their network. I hope to be installing the latest version of Microsoft Dynamics GP and CRM on his server and will report back on how the Mac handles the software... if i can close the deal.

I've never even used iTunes. Will have to become familiar with it.

planet10 said:

dave

I can tell you one reason why. I record a LOT of music from Real Rhapsody. For the purpose I use Replay Music, which is a Great program. It not only records my play lists, but also tags the music for me.

Now Rhapsody's playback quality, from the internet, is only 192kbs, so recording any of the music of better quality impossible, and a waste of drive space. You have no idea the extensive contemporary jazz and classic rock collection I have by recording off Rhapsody. Unfortunately, the more I record, the more I find I have not recorded. It's a never ending thing. :)

My collection consists of Wave and Mp3 files. And while there is a difference that even I can tell, it is not all that much to me. And with a tube unit, except my Bogen RPF 60, the warm sound helps cut down on the difference even further. I also have a special program where I can enhance the fidelity, and clarity, along with other things, and it does a surprising job of making the music more dynamic. It does this automatically when I play back the mp3 music.

My point is that at my age, my ears are not up to what they used to be. I'm a combat veteran, and all that noise has not helped. I can still tell the difference with a lot of things, but can no longer pick up those ultra high frequencies. However, I can still tell many of subtle nuances though. And as you age, no matter how well you take care of your ears, your ability to hear what you think you should hear, will not get you there as it used to. That's what happens when you get old, Damnit!! :)

If anyone really wants to be able to Tell the difference in things, AND notice any subtle shortcomings, then I would suggest picking up a copy of Sony's MDR-V6 Studio Monitor headphones. They are brutally honest and uncoloured, unlike that of the Sennheisers . If there are any discrepincies they will be 'in your face', up front.

Oh well, a few years back, I turned my nose up to a lot of things. But I have since outgrown that. Advancing years will do that to you, believe it or not.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
John L said:
I record a LOT of music from Real Rhapsody. It not only records my play lists, but also tags the music for me.

You can vote however you want with your dollars, i'd consider that a waste of money.

My point is that at my age, my ears are not up to what they used to be.

That is a red herring often thrown out as an excuse... despite aging hearing hardware, most (trained) listeners actually get better with age.

dave

Fast1one said:
With an 8 inch driver, what would you guys recommend for size? I was thinking around 20+ inches in width, as the total width of the baffle pictured appears to be 6-8 inches larger than the driver itself from the edge of the speaker to the edge of the baffle ...

Greets!

FYI, unless the driver happens to be the same width as the speaker's, its size has no bearing on the BSC design, ergo supra baffle width is a function of what F6 needs to be to blend to the BLH's output or room gain if sealed or vented. Without in-room measurements you can sim with software, but experimentation with different sizes, shapes usually is still required for best performance. FWIW, I found ~30" wide to be the best overall for sealed/vented and ~24" wide for the few experiments I did with BLHs, though I imagine in today's hi-def measurement environment they are probably overkill.

GM

planet10 said:

You can vote however you want with your dollars, i'd consider that a waste of money.

$9/month? You don't seriously think I buy the music, when I can record it off the internet, do you?

planet10 said:
That is a red herring often thrown out as an excuse... despite aging hearing hardware, most (trained) listeners actually get better with age.

dave

Interesting. While all the rest of the body deteriorates, the cilia in the inner auditory canal don't wither over time. I didn't know that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.