Hafler "Trans Nova" P1500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So the only part I'm hung on are the pots. This amp uses two-gang 10k pots and I'm having a hard time finding a good panasonic, alps, or bourns from the usual outlets. The Bourns are gangable but I fear it might require parts bourns doesn't offer to end users.

Hey Chris,
I could, but then I have to come up with another $18 in parts to meet the minimum, and I'm planning on using better than stock parts for the recapping. Plus, the stock pots really are kinda cheapy. Not that I'm about to spend what the amp cost new on two cryo treated pots or something, I'd just like to put some nicer ones in there.
I'm gonna email Bourns and ask about ganging. Worst they can do is ignore me. It is kinda annoying none of the "big" parts distributors that I've searched carry nice pots with more than one gang.

Ummm... seems like the situation calls for a few <$100 Behringer compressor limiters on the output end of that board, dude. Set them for light compression (very light) and soft knee limiting at about -6dB.

Of course the DJ will have them shoved into the limiters all the time, but who cares...

Don't even attempt to run those Haflers with less than 4 ohm loads.
You want low Z loads, that's another brand of amplifier...

Fwiw, comes a time when you tell the "so-called owner" that he'd better get another fool to do his repair work for him, and/or charge him double for doing fool's duty (which is what ur doing, imho). Either that or set up his money making cash cow club in halfway decent fashion... you are in New York City right?

Nevermind...

_-_-bear

Hey bear, that's exactly what I did a couple months ago. Crest 6001 driving a couple control monitors with an Autocom in line. They're very happy with it.

The system was an absolute mess when I first started on it 9 months ago, but now it's mostly solid. However, the employees never turn the system off and it's located under a common air return intake, so I have to change all the filters in the amps every month. They also have these Ashly powerflex amps that have been back to thier maker more times than I can count for warrenty repair (I've never been a big fan of anything Ashly other than thier crossovers)

The guy that installed this system has a reputaion for installing used equipment as new and charging almost list for everything.
There are a lot of clubs that are pi** poor, but there are a lot of clubs like this one that do very well and recognize they have to spend money to make money.

The Hafler is undergoing a revamp, I just have to modify the pot mounting brackets for the new panasonic EVU pots I have and it will replace my dying Sansui receiver (when I find a deal on a good preamp).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.