Hafler parts - Sound Valves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many years ago, I had to get my state's Office Of Consumer Affairs to go after "Sound Values/Stereo Cost Cutters," as the Person's called their company in those days. They owed me a sizable refund and tried to lie their way out of giving it to me. I finally got my refund, but there is no way I would go near them again. John may be a great guy to work for, but there is a large amount of anecdotal evidence that my bad experience with them was not a fluke.

As long as you stick to eBay, where customers have recourse, you may be okay. However, if you try to deal with them on your own, Caveat Emptor.

Hafler parts

I think Sound Valves went under, somebody bought their stock and still sells it on eBay. Very spotty, but lots of oddments for Hafler and a few for Dynaco.
The seller ID is vintagelectron, with very good feedback and of course ebay support. Here is a search for their items currently for sale:
vintagelectron | eBay

If you don't know the story, David Hafler founded Dynaco in the early 50s and developed some high quality low cost tube amps. Dynaco moved to solid state, with the notable Stereo 400, a high power amp, rare for the era of 1972. Dynaco folded, Hafler started Hafler and made early MOSFET amps that again were well regarded for quality and fair price. Somehow Hafler folded, I think business was failing and David Hafler either retired or was in ill health. They were bought by Rockford Fosgate of car audio fame. Years later Rockford folded. Now, it's all legend, with plenty of Dynaco and Hafler hardware still in use by aficionados.

During all that turbulence, surplus dealers cleaned up on the stock of defunct Dynaco and Hafler. Dynaco's lot went to Stereo Cost Cutters, which I believe morphed into Sound Valves. Sound Valves picked up the Hafler excess too, when Rockford took over. Sound Valves fell on hard times and went under. Somehow they acquired a less than prime reputation, although I always had good deals from them. Anyway, for a while you could find parts easily for all those products, but it's just a trickle now and you have to scrounge from used gear or niche dealers.

As I said, it looks like vintagelectron via ebay is at least a reliable supplier, if they have what you need. And there are boutique dealers selling mod kits and upgrades still for this 60 year old stuff. Pretty amazing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.