Hafler DH-200/220 Mods

Hi,
Good to see you are getting onto this project
R42,48 = 22k or 22k1 if you are using E96 ...
I chose 594-SFR16S0002202JA5
Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/2watt 22Kohms 5%
It was chosen for size, availability and value, what Bob C specified

You are what I would consider a man with lots of SMPS experience, so I am lead to believe ( I have been to your shop) :)
What do you think of the SMPS600 in this application? I think it needs to be measured for sure as it passed one listening test.
The lack of agency certification, which is usually well documented, is of concern, to me at least, unless I am out in left field, but any product labeling is part of a cert.
I have done a ULc cert on lighting products, HID ballasts. All cert numbers are traceable to the mfr.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have gone through agency certification in numerous countries over the years for switchmode power supplies. The current units we build are 125 and 250 VDC with 100 mv of ripple, not low enough for audio, but low enough for a 700 amp battery charger. The build quality of this unit looks reasonably decent ( routered board isolation , silk screened indication of primay / secondary, component quality looks good, for an off line switcher. Don’t think it has pf correction from my quick look at it.
But yes no approval labels visible. it’s about $10k if your unit is close to approvable at the start of testing, more if it isn’t. But decent switchers hold promise. ( especially in my class A amp with 700,000 uf CLC where they would have save space, money, and my back ....

Last edited:
Hi,
Good to see you are getting onto this project
R42,48 = 22k or 22k1 if you are using E96 ...
I chose 594-SFR16S0002202JA5
Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/2watt 22Kohms 5%
It was chosen for size, availability and value, what Bob C specified

You are what I would consider a man with lots of SMPS experience, so I am lead to believe ( I have been to your shop) :)
What do you think of the SMPS600 in this application? I think it needs to be measured for sure as it passed one listening test.
The lack of agency certification, which is usually well documented, is of concern, to me at least, unless I am out in left field, but any product labeling is part of a cert.
I have done a ULc cert on lighting products, HID ballasts. All cert numbers are traceable to the mfr.

One acid test of the use of this SMPS in the DH-220C would be to see how it performs into a 2-ohm load up to full power for 2-5 seconds.

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks for this information. How big is the intermediate bus capacitor(s)? Can you describe the line side rectification circuitry? Does this circuitry provide power factor correction?

Cheers,
Bob

The SMPS has 2* 1000uF at the primary side and no PFC for this SMPS model.

Other SMPS models have PFC at the primary side for better performance, like SMPS1K-PFC.

For the certification, the SMPS is CE marked.

However, soon the main inductors (Transformers etc..) will be UL recognized components and will hold the label indicating that. And I believe that (rsavas) knows the cost for doing that.

The next step will be going for a full certificate, don't worry I am working on that already, but need to prepare a lot of $$$$.

Thanks!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
One acid test of the use of this SMPS in the DH-220C would be to see how it performs into a 2-ohm load up to full power for 2-5 seconds.

Cheers,
Bob

That is indeed a great experimental idea, but there's no way I'm doing that. :D My use case is solid for me, and I don't want to push my layman's luck. Others can stress test such a system for deeper understanding.

Last edited:
That is indeed a great experimental idea, but there's no way I'm doing that. :D My use case is solid for me, and I don't want to push my layman's luck. Others can stress test such a system for deeper understanding.

I held my breath for fear of Magic Smoke when I did the test, and kept the load on only long enough for the THD analyzer to settle :).

Cheers,
Bob

That +/- 15 & 24v option is handy of you want to add a balanced input stage.

I would use the +/-24v through plain old 7815/7915 to help suppress some of
the noise.

All my multi channel home theater power amps are balanced input. So I first have to drop the approx +/-70v amp rails to about +/-24v with a simple zener pass transistor setup, then go through 7815/7915.

I wonder if just building a small AC line operated linear supply inside the case would be better. Just think if one of those first stage pass transistors short. It would blow every chip on the balanced input board. And that would probably take out a speaker driver in the process!

Jensen-JT-11P-1 transformers

I have a NOS p230, I have been searching for a xlr balanced input kit for it.. does any anyone have experience with this kit?

I am thinking about a pair of these, not exactly sure about applications and if it will work / would be suited to my use. I have a lot of really great balanced cables and a balanced pre-amp I would like to use... and the prospect of using amp with long >25ft. XLR cables (for subwoofers) away from the pre-amp is appealing. Long line / short speaker cable lengths...

Jensen JT-11P-1 Premium Line Input Transformer 1:1

The circuit for the p230 is far from elegant, to me looks like it may do a lot of adverse things to the integrity of the musical signal.

I think Jensen makes

Balanced to unbalanced transformers... I am tired (should be in bed) cannot think clearly, am having a hard time reading / comprehending (embarrassed to "admit" it) but something along these lines have been of great interest to me.

I want an XLR input to feed the PCB, the input of a single ended amp.

~ conversely ~

I would love to put a single ended to XLR transformer in my SE pre-amp (out-put) to feed long balanced cables... Not sue if the Jensen part is bi-directional. They are not 'cheap' but the are very good... almost assuredly would not degrade the signal.