Hafler 120 modifications

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Means it pulls 600 watts max from the wall.

Would a UCD-400 sound better than a 9130? I, also, am considering using my empty PRO-1200 chassis for something similar.

The UCD400 (Class D) is 400wpc into 4 ohms. If its power you need, then this is it. Sound is very clean and tight.

I have not heard the 9130 as mine is fried, but a UCD400AD sounds very nice. I have a UCD400AD and it is my favorite amp so far.

After I finish my Class A Aleph 60 and Krell clone (still awaiting two chassis'), we will see which one "ranks" and stays in the system.

I am betting the Krell, then the Aleph, then the UCD, but I wouldn't be surprised.

The stereo UCD400 requires a transformer of at least 500VA and 40VAC secondaries (can be used with less Voltage for less than 400WPC into 4 ohms). The sinks are largely not even required as the UCD400 barely gets warm (Class D again)...a Very "Green" amp. The "Tree-huggers" love it.

Lid off - how to get inside amp ?

Ok, so this applies to SE 120 power amp.

Undo top 2 screws each side, at heatsink top.
Undo top 1 screw each side (next screw down on heatsink at back).

If it has a lid as tight fit as a ...., then you need to use two hooked pieces of metal. Fit one each side in the ventilation holes (facing away from vents, to avoid bending) through the lid; then pull up on the hooked 'tools' with pliers. Slowly. This will ease off the lid and you can get access to the inside of the amp.

Never known a lid fit like that before. Wow !