Hacked TDA1541 CD Player USB DAC Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will it work in situ?

This is the very same board I also have. I soldered the I2S output wires to the holes, but not installed it into the CD player. It works with a PCB that is removed from a Philips CD player.
Okay, cool, but will it work with the board in situ? Meaning in the CD player with no PCB traces cut or broken? Simply by connecting the three I2S wires to either DAC chip or, perhaps, to the digital-filter chip (SAA7220, etc.)
Is the external Chinese board powered by USB (computer) power, or must one supply power (I see a 5V and GND terminal next to the three I2S lines. I also see the adapter jack, and the specs note: Input voltage : AC 9V or DC 8~13V or by USB)?

You will need to cut the I2S lines going to the SAA7220B (or to the TDA1541A) and connect the I2S output from the module there. It is powered from USB or external, there is a selector switch. +5V is an output, but I suppose it accepts +5V fed in, then the USB power selector should be flipped. There is a power indicator LED anyway.

hollowman, that board is the basically the same one as mine too. The I2S signal goes directly into a TDA1541 chip for the NOS experience. I upgraded my board by replacing the capacitors, using 14V from the CD player PCB to directly power the 7805 regulator (bypassing the onboard DC jack and diode bridge), replacing the 12.000 MHz clock and moving it to a dedicated clock board (which I had "laying around"). Each upgrade made a perceptible improvement in sound quality. I'm sure I could have just bought a better board in the first place for less than the cost of the upgrades, but where's the fun in that?

I stripped out all the parts related to CD playing. Are you hoping to switch between CD and USB?

P.S. In case you're wondering, the grey and blue wires in the picture are simply for moving the LED.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.