H Type Balanced Attenuator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi David,

this would work. The only problem (for me) would be the programming of the PIC.

GeeVee,

why are you confused? The series resistors are easily within 1% wich is a lot better than any pot I know of and in dB a very small error.

If in option A the pots are not exaxtly the same you will also have a difference. This will be bigger than in the balanced version (have a look at the Borbely website for an explanation).

Where the wiper is connected is not important. The pot is connected as a variable resistor between the +out and -out.

The Dantimax volume controls can not be used for option B, only for option A . What could work is if you use the ladder option (24 step) with different resistors.

William

unbalanced preamp

I would like to convert the unbalanced signal from my preamp to an balanced one. What is the best schematic ?, are there better ones ? It is for the Aleph 5

Attachments

• converter.gif
    converter.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 981
Re: unbalanced preamp

Berry said:
I would like to convert the unbalanced signal from my preamp to an balanced one. What is the best schematic ?, are there better ones ? It is for the Aleph 5

You actually might like to consider building the BOSOZ preamp. It's an easy circuit and handles balanced/unbalanced conversions very nicely. There are also less components in the signal path.

The level of effort would be roughly comparable. With a little more work there are the other BOSOZ variants with X topology and CCS.

-David

Re: unbalanced preamp

Berry said:
I would like to convert the unbalanced signal from my preamp to an balanced one. What is the best schematic ?

If you want to do it with OpAmps and DiffAmps here is the one that I used few times. This one might not be the best, but it won't be easy to find a better sounding one. :)
First chip is just a buffer and there's a plethora of good circuits to choose from, though it should be capable of driving a low Z input of diff. amp - OPA1632 - here you can also use the THS4131 (same pinout as OPA1632) or any discreet circuit you like - you'll find a lot of them on this forum.

Attachments

• unbal2bal.gif
    unbal2bal.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,028
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.