• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GU50 SE vs 300B SE tube amp??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of my version:

power more than 10W with THD around 3% (LTspice sim)

Attachments

• gu50 6e5p.png
    gu50 6e5p.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,176
Costis;
THANKS.
I tried Sovtube, out of stock, but good price.
I have GU 50's on Ebay,world wide search, so far all that has come up is Polish, sockets and one GU 50 in 3 months.
Maybe I need to try a different search terms or Maybe Should search Russia & Ukraine, not world wide.
Phil

I have made some tests with GU-13. My opt was 5k Hammond 1628SEA.
Once again the UL-connection was better than triode. The THD was lower and output impedance almost as low as with triode. I don't have my memos available now, but some 20...25 W is available below 3 % THD with 700 V +Ub.

SRPP not the best schematic for driver GU50 or 300B.

Why do you say that? I tried many topologies for that driver and that was by far the best sounding - so ironically it _was_ 'the best schematic for driver GU50'.

BTW it's an SRPP+(tubelab) now, not an SRPP.

For a good driver you need something active pulling up for large voltage swing and A2 operation as required. You also need gain, so something active on the bottom too.

That narrows the field down to what most people would mistake as 'the wrong type'.

I found the main problem with the GU50 was buying valve bases that didn't crack the tubes if you turned the chassis on it's side (so the tubes where horizontal). I lost 4 GU50's this way - they just cracked at the base.

Some naked sockets are ok - I have some that work fine, but I think the ebay variety stress the pins radially and the loading change finishes them off.
The official GU50 holders are available and look rather military but are very safe for the tubes.

I painted them in black, and they look sexy. :)

Attachments

• black_sockets.jpg
    black_sockets.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 967
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.