• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GU29 PP Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Few questions , screens need a regulated voltage around 200V because of the absolute maximum rating stated in the datasheet right?
My supply would give around 400-450V , really I need a B+ of 600V ? Is just power output related or will work bad at 450V ? Never experienced with this kind of tubes :(

Anyway how much power do I get with theese tubes ?

lowering screen voltage lowers cathode currents, but you can always adjust the grid bias anyway...triode mu seems to go a bit higher with lower plate voltages, in this case you can look at the screen as a triode plate....following is an excerpt from the datasheet....

Characteristics and Typical Operation
Class B2 Amplifier
Plate Voltage ....................................... 500 V
Grid No. 2 Voltage ................................. 200 V
Grid No. 1 Voltage ................................ -18 V
Peak Grid No. 1 Voltage........................... 56 V
Plate Current (Zero Signal) ...................... 27 mA
Plate Current (Maximum Signal) ................ 230 mA
Driving Power ........................................ 0.39 W
Load Resistance .................................... 4.8K Ω
Power Output (approx) ........................... 76 W

based on my listening experience with the 6LU8 with regulated screens, pentode mode can sound better than ultra-linear having built both types....

Can you use 6n1p drivers in place of the 6dj8 tubes and still achieve the same sonic results? I just bought some of these and have not used them before. Wondering if what I have on hand will do.

the 6N1p tubes are good sounding tubes,i like them a lot and are dirt cheap, sometimes, the 6dj8 can be a relabeled 6ES8, good for cascodes and long tail pairs and circuits with gnfb...

pentode mode can sound better than ultra-linear having built both types....

I tried both w/ the 829's and agree. I did connect the UL taps to the driver plate, sort of "schade" style feedback, and it improved things. Mr Millett appears to have done the same thing in his final amp design, and he's actually got test equipment and uses it :), so it's probably a good idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.