• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group purchase for Jensen input transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another option

AndrewT said:
Hi,
being a bit of a Borders scrooge, is there a cheaper alternative that has most of the Jensen quality/performance?
My stereo system has 7 poweramps and I'm not even contemplating the 5.1 system even though it has the longest interconnects.

The Cinemag CMLI-15/15 input transformer is of the same quality. The website is www.cinemag.biz. These are nice 80% nickel cores.
The cost for four is about 43.00 each. At quanities of 25 I am sure they would be cheaper. They also make a dual shield version that is a little more.
I have used both the single and double shield and find they sound the same. They might measure a little different.
I have never done a direct substitution to compare the Jensen and Cinemag. The specs are very close. The Cinemag is designed to work with up to a 15K load without a "snubber" to tame resonance at 100 - 130Khz.
You will have to call or email them to get a price breakdown in quanities. I remember they having a break for quanities of 10.
I think Cinemag will have to build the order. They do not seem to keep al lot of these in stock. This is a plus, they can build them single or dual shield.
If the price drop for quanities of 25 is not much, you might be better off using the better known Jensen. The Cinemag are 25.00 dollars cheaper in small quanities. This price differential may shrink quickly in larger volumes.

George

George

bear said:
I'm not saying that the Cinemag units are better or worse, but look carefully at the Jensen specs, they have bandwidth out the yin-yang, that makes most transformers look silly by comparison, and iirc they claim a bessel response for the rolloffs...

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

They do use a Bessel low pass. I think that's their claim to fame. Keeps phase distortion at bay because a low pass Bessel filter is linear phase (time aligned). Not so for a Bessel high pass. But the low end cutoff is said to be sub first order.

I think we're standing around 20 items if everyone responding is ordering 2, if they didn't say so otherwise.

JoshK said:
Could these be used between an unbalanced source and the balanced input of a preamp as well? Or would I need to add a dampening circuit?

Anyway, I'd be interested in a pair.

Not sure where you are talking about putting it in this situation, but if your preamp is already balanced, there are lineout transformers for the source side available, and this is not an application for that position. Also, there may be better line input transformers for a preamp that usually has much higher input impedances.

JoshK said:
Could these be used between an unbalanced source and the balanced input of a preamp as well? Or would I need to add a dampening circuit?

Anyway, I'd be interested in a pair.

Hi Josh, I was wondering the same thing I found these 'white pages' that addressed some of those questions. Check out AN003, AN004

http://www.jensentransformers.com/apps_wp.html

stan

No rush. We just got enough interest for the 24+ price break, which was the minimum to make worth while. Don't expect a great number more to make the next price break, but if we do, fine. We're just setting things up administratively for the purchase, whenever that may be. We just want to get a firmer "commitment" of interest on the WIKI.

Well, the Jensen is a known and respected quantity. Its bandwidth goes to 100kHz vs. 72kHz, the deviation from linear phase (phase distortion) is specified, and the lower load resistor requirement means the input noise can be lower. Whether any of this makes an audible difference, I don't know. But the difference between 10k ohms and 20k ohms in the input circuit is noticably different in the amount of hiss level coming out of an amp. I'll pay a little more to get the preferrable specs.

pooge said:
Well, the Jensen is a known and respected quantity.

So is CineMag.

Its bandwidth goes to 100kHz vs. 72kHz...

If you look at the current 11P-1 datasheet, its -3dB is 95kHz. Which is just about as niggling a difference as 95kHz versus 72kHz.

...the deviation from linear phase (phase distortion) is specified...

Ok, I'll as Tom to do a group delay plot for the 15/15B.

and the lower load resistor requirement means the input noise can be lower.

The input doesn't see the 10k or 15k resistance. What it sees is the DC resistance of the transformer secondary in parallel with the 10k or 15k. In other words, it's basically just going to see the DC resistance of the secondary.

Whether any of this makes an audible difference, I don't know. But the difference between 10k ohms and 20k ohms in the input circuit is noticably different in the amount of hiss level coming out of an amp.

That's 15k, not 20k. And see my note above. Also, the 15/15B is also perfectly comfortable with a 10k load.

I'll pay a little more to get the preferrable specs.

In my opinion, the "specs" in this case are just fly specks.

Pricing by the way is $38.26 each for the 15/15B versus $57.58 for the 11P-1 if you want the 3/8" bushing mount. That's a savings of nearly $40 ($38.64 to be precise) for a pair.

Lead time would be a maximum of 3 weeks.

If you're going to stick with the Jensen, then before you go any further I'd recommend giving them a call and see what their stock situation is. If they don't have full stock, you typically have to wait until they get around to their next production run, which can be months.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.