• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy: High quality pots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
mrlots2do said:

The US$ pricing at Jaycar is half that of the posting from Electus Distributors.

Could you find out what shipping options cost to the US?

I looks like it would be significantly cheaper for me to buy from Jaycar US?

You don't get the real prices until you have a Electus account. I can't imagine the prices actually being better than the US prices plus the postage would be significant.

Funny about those prices and the Jaycar US prices being so much cheaper, I noticed that too a while ago, emailed them about it. via the Australian email and the New Zealand one, no reply. :xeye:

Considering Jaycar is an Australian company and all. Maybe there suppliers are US? but judging by the prices it looks like they've never changed the exchange conversion rate on their site since over 2 years ago.

Let me know if you manage to order via the US site to get it delivered to an Australian address, they don't seem to allow it, insisting you go to your regional site.

You would think going through Electus Distribution would be even cheaper than the US 100+ quantity Jaycar price. Which reminds me I should really get an account with Electus.

I'd be in on any group buy of pots around the sub $20 USD price range.

grege said:

I looks like it would be significantly cheaper for me to buy from Jaycar US?

You don't get the real prices until you have a Electus account. I can't imagine the prices actually being better than the US prices plus the postage would be significant.
I was nosing around Jaycar site and found they're prefered shipping method for international is Fedex airmail. So off to Fedex I went, I plugged in Jaycar's zipcode and mine. Your not going to like this. A 10 pound 9"x12"x8" package is nearly $200 USD. The component final pricing would need to be adjusted due to shipping cost yet would still be very reasonable.

On the good side, We could get a hugh amount of small stuff in a package that size.

100 - misc. 9mm dual gang log/linear pots
100 - misc. 16mm dual gang log/linear pots
100 - misc. multi turn trimpots
100 - 40 pin dual inline jumpers
100 - 2way PCB mount screw terminals
100 - 3way PCB mount screw terminals
100 - 5amp 12way screw terminal strips
100 - 10amp 12way screw terminal strips
200 - misc 3mm and 5mm led's and clips

These are just a few items that I thought would be a good group buy. What items would everyone else like to see in a buy.

Phil

Attachments

• jaycar parts.jpg
    jaycar parts.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 351
mrlots2do said:

I was nosing around Jaycar site and found they're prefered shipping method for international is Fedex airmail. So off to Fedex I went, I plugged in Jaycar's zipcode and mine. Your not going to like this. A 10 pound 9"x12"x8" package is nearly $200 USD. The component final pricing would need to be adjusted due to shipping cost yet would still be very reasonable.

On the good side, We could get a hugh amount of small stuff in a package that size.

These are just a few items that I thought would be a good group buy. What items would everyone else like to see in a buy.
One other thing!

Australia's international shipping cost are sharply changed by weight and package size. Jaycar states final delivered costs will not be determined until packaged. So I guess we play roulette on final adjusted part costs to group buy participants.

I still think the final pricing will be reasonable. Anyone think not!
Phil

10k audio log dual pot

Get some Alps 10k dual audio log surplus(new old stock) motor run on 5 to9 vdc (if needed). Use two for balanced,for a 20k: go for a quality resistor in serie(15k-20k) and this pot across.
Only 12$ each, take 20 for 10$ each,take 50 for 9$ each and take
100 for 8$ each. Non inductive resistors 15k at 1.50$ each. Also lot of dual pot dual shaft 50k ,100k alps new old stock .

Those 10k are mine since about 10 years(fab dat 1993). Get them from distributor for a special project.

The 50k/100k Alps carbon(quad pot, dual shaft) come from Harman Kardon new never use preamp board( pots still on board) about 30 boards for sale.

Attachments

• photo 009.jpg
    photo 009.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 493
Here a pic of Harman Kardon preamp board. The two pots on right are quad with dual shaft .The value is 50k(Alps made in Japan).The left one is quad but single shaft 100k,the last one is
the balance 50k linear. Price 30$ with knobs,24$ without,have very few boards with.

Attachments

• harman kardon preamp board.jpg
    harman kardon preamp board.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 378
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The pots on p. 452 aren't claimed to be carbon. Except for the wirewound ones, it doesn't say what they are as far as I can tell.
On p. 451, there are 17mm carbon pots with silver contacts. These are the only ones that are stated to be what we want, but don't come dual.

However, in general, dual carbon pots don't seem to track between channels as well as othe types, so maybe one knob for each channel is what we are stuck with.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.