grounding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
enforcing EMC regulations

sorry the BBC comment was a joke. LOL = ;)
Yes indeed the #'s of power-line related noise is astonishingly growing, smart homes, class D audio, power-line networks, cheap wall warts, etc.
AFAIK there are only agreed upon standards IEC (BTW whose methods of measurement doesn't reflect reality) but no "laws" per se There is no way to enforce anything as I see it.

Before you build something without a ground (and possibly kill yourself or a loved one), read some of the grounding articles from ESP on the subject:

DIY Audio Articles
Under the General Information section:
Earthing your HI-FI
Electrocution
Fusing

Great information, and the article on Earthing includes tips on safely attempting to avoid ground loops.

These are some really good articles for the novice, thanks for the link!

sorry the BBC comment was a joke. LOL = ;)
Yes indeed the #'s of power-line related noise is astonishingly growing, smart homes, class D audio, power-line networks, cheap wall warts, etc.
AFAIK there are only agreed upon standards IEC (BTW whose methods of measurement doesn't reflect reality) but no "laws" per se There is no way to enforce anything as I see it.

Underwriters Laboratories

UL.com
If you want certification which is mandatory for most products due to liability/insurance carriers demands on company's product. Import a million of something and that all changes. If a product is made up of UL approved devices then it could be said that it is UL approved, without certification, unless there are issues.

My 1st job was getting a product "UL listed" much more involved than simply 'UL approved' for basic safety. thanks I know about the UL pay as you go programs.

If a product is made up of UL approved devices then it could be said that it is UL approved, without certification

indeed this is my approach to DIY.

Last edited:
It may be less confusing if we refer to PROTECTIVE EARTH as such, as ground has far to many meanings. What a lot of DIYers also forget is they are responsible for creepage and clearances in their designs and EMC compatibility. You don't need a CE UL or FCC certification, but if it goes wrong or you create interference you can get in trouble.
My view is safety first, though I am looking at wall wart or remote supplies, but I can get these PAT tested so I know they are safe.

Both UL and FCC can cost money, when I was working on some coms gear we had to get the military radios passed by the FCC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.