Grounding options with multiple cap's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bas, i'd enjoy getting a little sloshed with you again while attempting to help out (or at least make some sense :D). As it is though i'm off out a little later, well after a bit of ebay bidding which is going to delay my departure ;)

I'm glad we appear to be getting there with the grounding, there have been some interesting points made that i hope i don't forget in too much of a hurry..

All the best chap, have a great weekend :)

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Sober again... no good. We must cheers again tonight since it is weekend! :D

I will try first point to point grounding. I just peak into a schematic of a Cambridge Azur amp, where the designer (Mr. Self?) manage it to ground each point to the star all over the amplifier. So in basic it isn't impossible, but it means I have to do most of the PCB all over again. :D That said, this is the way to learn it so I should put my laziness aside.

I saw that Jeff Rowland use ground-planes in his amplifiers. Now I understand why.... :D

With kind regards,
Bas

I must admit I've done power and signal ground planes which then get referenced back to the power supply star point separately. I had forgotten all about that amp, it worked very very well, distortion below my limit to test it, so I must not have screwed it up too bad. All this talk of drinking is making me thirsty. Can't wait for the work day to be over....

PS, the Cambridge Azur PCB layout is available somewhere...or at least a picture of the board? I'd like to see that!

I must admit I've done power and signal ground planes which then get referenced back to the power supply star point separately. I had forgotten all about that amp, it worked very very well, distortion below my limit to test it, so I must not have screwed it up too bad. All this talk of drinking is making me thirsty. Can't wait for the work day to be over....

PS, the Cambridge Azur PCB layout is available somewhere...or at least a picture of the board? I'd like to see that!

Dear Scott,

I did point to point grounding already in pervious designs, I only took the star point at the wrong point (at the middle of the reservoir capacitors plane). Even though the results where very good. THD below 0.00X% no hum at all. This further research was to see if A: It could be done easier and less time consuming (which is not :D) and B: how it can be done better.

If you send me a PM with your email address. I can send you the service manuals from the Cambrige Azur 340 and Azur 640, witch included PCB layouts. Funny note is that the Azur 340 is based on the LM3886 chip and in fact sort of a gain-clone :D

With kind regards,
Bas

That's where us Europeans have an advantage you see lol, we're at it & you just can't wait :D

Enjoy your weekend Scott, you'll be at it way after we hit the land of nod ;)

Bests, Mark.

You guys have many advantages...I've only been to Europe once...2006, Italy, Switzerland and France. I enjoyed the fact in Italy I could get my morning (espresso), noon (gelato) and night (wine/alcohol) vices in the SAME place. In fact at one stop our hotel was over the bar serving all three...talk about the best! Here in the US...that's like 3 miles of driving or more! Way better plan....

Well, I have 3.5-4.5 hours left at work. I suppose I should do some.

-S

You guys have many advantages...I've only been to Europe once...2006, Italy, Switzerland and France. I enjoyed the fact in Italy I could get my morning (espresso), noon (gelato) and night (wine/alcohol) vices in the SAME place. In fact at one stop our hotel was over the bar serving all three...talk about the best! Here in the US...that's like 3 miles of driving or more! Way better plan....

Well, I have 3.5-4.5 hours left at work. I suppose I should do some.

-S

Well what they always say.. the grass is always greener at the neighbors :D I feel exactly the opposite, After living in Paris for a while (I am native Dutch) and after making a europe-trip, my visit to USA NYC a month ago impressed me the most. I would love to live there, and I truly loved the NY people, and I love USA.

If you want the Cambridge PCB layout's I need your email adres. the files are to big to post here ;)

With kind regards,
Bas

Well what they always say.. the grass is always greener at the neighbors :D I feel exactly the opposite, After living in Paris for a while (I am native Dutch) and after making a europe-trip, my visit to USA NYC a month ago impressed me the most. I would love to live there, and I truly loved the NY people, and I love USA.

If you want the Cambridge PCB layout's I need your email adres. the files are to big to post here ;)

With kind regards,
Bas

I found them at Audio Circuit Denmark. I didn't realize that the 340 was a 3886 based amp....that's just cheating. I did like the 640 schematic, there was some interesting protection stuff in there I hadn't seen before, or at least a version like that. I'll have to study it some more.

That's funny about NYC, the reputation is that New Yorkers are rude.... I've never found that to be the case...busy and in a rush yes...but not rude. Great city, I have relatives that live close to it, been many times. I guess it's true...the grass is greener!

-Scott

With a daisy chain one amplifier modulates the reference voltage of another amplifier with an unrelated signal. When the return paths are different lengths between each amplifier you will have slightly different return impdeance but one amplifier won't modulate the reference of the others...make sense?
Then, in a situation where you have plenty of caps, why not split the caps in smaller dedicated banks for each amplifier board ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.