Green Pre board - modular

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am building a new preamp for my studio, so I made a new board for this pre which has pin connectors to allow for different base-boards and even different kinds of premps.

So please comment on my design, especially possible ground loops and other power-related problems.

Thanks

edit: some problems with ISP...

Attachments

• green_pre25.zip
    63.2 KB · Views: 143
kubeek said:

I am building a new preamp for my studio, so I made a new board for this pre which has pin connectors to allow for different base-boards and even different kinds of premps.

So please comment on my design, especially possible ground loops and other power-related problems.
Thanks
Greg Erskine said:
Eagle 4.16 won't open the files.

My Eagle took kubeeks files ( .brd and .sch )
I did a Screen Capture & here is the schematic ( 7 kB .png )

So ..... Comments for kubeek's work, Please! :)

Lineup
I call this first version:
GreenPre_kubeek-080617a.png
( 2008 June 17, version a )

Attachments

• greenpre_kubeek-080617a.png
    greenpre_kubeek-080617a.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 386
Re: Re: Re: Green Pre board - modular

nigelwright7557 said:

If you download "screenhunter" you will be able to capture the window to a jpg or a gif etc

Sure, but you still have to have EAGLE installed to capture anything...

This PCB screams trouble on top of the lungs - there is so much stray capacitance and inductance on it that you can easily turn it into wide-band transceiver.
Kubeek, search the forum and look at the works of the more experienced members - you'll learn a lot ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Green Pre board - modular

juma said:

Sure, but you still have to have EAGLE installed to capture anything...

This PCB screams trouble on top of the lungs - there is so much stray capacitance and inductance on it that you can easily turn it into wide-band transceiver.
Kubeek, search the forum and look at the works of the more experienced members - you'll learn a lot ;)

No ! I meant he has to use screenhunter !

Screenhunter will capture his window and send it to a jpg file for our perusal !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Green Pre board - modular

juma said:

I think this is a bit hard...

Schematic.

The positive end of C14 is not connected to anything in the schematic. Agnd symbols are incorrectly oriented. The connector is not connected to anything. Labels are superimposed and illegible. Inputs and outputs are not clearly indicated.

This makes it a bit difficult to evaluate the PCB.

PCB

Silkscreen lables are illegible. Tracks are higgledy-piggledy and unmitred. Ugly.

It's better to keep inputs away from outputs and away from power connections if physically possible. This also makes for a sensible signal path. Not that I'm saying yours isn't, it's just a lot of trouble to go through it component by component especially when you can't read the labels.

Try to keep your tracks horizontal, vertical or at 45 degrees. This is just good practice. Mitre all corners where possible. Never create an internal angle <90 degrees. Look at any motherboard...

65/100

w

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Green Pre board - modular

Thanks for all the input, now to the details:

wakibaki said:

The positive end of C14 is not connected to anything in the schematic. Agnd symbols are incorrectly oriented. The connector is not connected to anything. Labels are superimposed and illegible. Inputs and outputs are not clearly indicated.
The in fact are connected, but to make the schematic readable they are only connected by nets, not visibly by wires.

Silkscreen lables are illegible are just how they came after placing the components, they are not meant to be printed on the board yet.

wakibaki said:

It's better to keep inputs away from outputs and away from power connections if physically possible. This also makes for a sensible signal path. Not that I'm saying yours isn't, it's just a lot of trouble to go through it component by component especially when you can't read the labels.

I understand it is hard with that (no) labeling, so I will try better next time.

Why not <90degrees angles? And why there should be only multiples of 45?
It seems to me that any angle will carry current, which is the main concern.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Green Pre board - modular

kubeek said:
The in fact are connected, but to make the schematic readable they are only connected by nets

Not on the schematic I saw. Am I supposed to guess?

kubeek said:
Silkscreen lables are illegible are just how they came after placing the components, they are not meant to be printed on the board yet.

I understand it is hard with that (no) labeling, so I will try better next time.

I need to see the labels so I can tell which component is which.

kubeek said:
Why not <90degrees angles? And why there should be only multiples of 45?
It seems to me that any angle will carry current, which is the main concern.

That is the main concern. Your board is probably quite useable, although to be sure I would prefer to be able to see how close capacitors are to their chips without a big effort.

Most PCB's are produced by chemical etching. Tight corners can trap etch solution even after washing and cause problems years later.

Keep lines straight or at 45 degrees. This will make angles <90 less likely to occur and encourages a disciplined approach which may be more critical if, for example, you need to route a 16-bit bus. If your lines are straight then the spacing is less of a problem. Miter corners habitually, it generally makes little difference below RF but again, it's a good habit to get into.

Be careful with your clearances when taking tracks between pins.

Look at a PC mainboard. This will show you the standard expected of a modern PCB layout person. It's not difficult to achieve with software.

w

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Green Pre board - modular

kubeek said:
[B
I didn´t post those pictures...[/B]

I did post those pictures.
Me did it.
To try my best to support an old audio fiend ( Your Headhone amplifier, remember? )

Try to be helpful. Do a favour.
Maybe I shouldnt have .. but this puts the question how many comments you would have gotten, kubeek, if I had not tried to help you.

Did I expect any thanks, or positive comment from you by posting schematic images?
Maybe I did .. ;)
But I have learned well, by now, how we ( and some ) people are.
We shouldnt expect nothing. Not on the positive sides.
Should we :D

... wonders Lineup June 2008

lineup said:

I did post those pictures.
Me did it.
To try my best to support an old audio fiend ( Your Headhone amplifier, remember? )

Try to be helpful. Do a favour.
Maybe I shouldnt have .. but this puts the question how many comments you would have gotten, kubeek, if I had not tried to help you.

Did I expect any thanks, or positive comment from you by posting schematic images?
Maybe I did .. ;)
But I have learned well, by now, how we ( and some ) people are.
We shouldnt expect nothing. Not on the positive sides.
Should we :D

... wonders Lineup June 2008
I didn´t mean it like that at all.
I was just saying that people (wakibaki) can´t blame me for ilegible schematic, when I didn´t post it.

Anyway, sorry for the delay because my internet is dead and won´t be back soon.
So any comments to the updated board?

Attachments

• green_pre26.zip
    65 KB · Views: 43
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.