Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Hi, Iko

Last year's TAVES was the frist time it was restarted after a very long hiatus. The show is mainly supported by Dealers. Basically, you can browse almost all the audio equipment brands available in Ontario in one place, from very high end to consumer's stuffs. To attract more attendants, a fairly large video component is included too - various made and kind of panels, home theater gears etc. Lastly there are also some DIY vendors too, showing their expensive cables, AC plugs, RCA jacks etc. I remember talking to the guy who run the Audio Note Kits (there are good on display too) - wow, the PCB and kits components (custom built transformers) are of excellent quality.

My interest is mainly audio and I spent about 5 hours solid walking the floors last years and still missed out some rooms. I have to confessed that I tried to do some listening in every room. I really enjoyed the show last year. There was one vendor from NY (Woo's audio I think) showing their high end tube-based headphone amps. I spent half an hour checking them out.

The admisson charge is $22 I think. However, you can get a $5 coupon from teh TAVES facebook site or the previous issue of Canada Hifi. I have been to the same show in Montreal a number of times, TAVES is not as big, but I think the "sound quality" of the show rooms are better on average. Personally I think it is worth it.

Hey, wlowes

Good to see your post again! Good idea!! Let see who else will be there and we can get organised.

Regards,

Just curious, anyone plans to attend the TAVES 2012?

Hi, wlowes

You mentioned that you are going on Fridday the 28th, are you interested in getting together?

I noticed in your blog that you are working on a 6C33B based OTL amp. Hey, I plan to do the same thing after I finish my current one (it will be awhile). I have decided on the design by Hans Beijner (~ 30 watts), which is similar to that published by Tim Mellows and yet different (I feel that Han's design is simpler but the power supply section is quite involved). I would love to talk to you about your project.

Regards,

Just curious, anyone plans to attend the TAVES 2012?

Hi, wlowes

You mentioned that you are going on Fridday the 28th, are you interested in getting together?

Regards,

It is looking questionable if I will be able to go. Will likely be a last minute decision. Would be delighted to meet and exchange ideas about this crazy project. I'll send PM with contact info. I can make it, perhaps we can hook up at the event.

Damn missed TAVES.... Any goers willing to commentate on any new product they deam worthy of bringing up?

For one, Bryston officially launched their Model-T speakers (3 ways, 7 drivers total). Driving with their big amps, the speaker filled the big room nicely. The base response goes to below 30 Hz. Overall, I like the sound - full body, clean, solid low base. The sound stage was good too in the big room. It was the passive version that was demoed and it is listed at ~ cdn$ 6500. Pay an extra 1000 and you have a nicely packaged external X-over. Another 1500 or so (I think), one will get the DSP X-over package.

Totem showed off their stuffs for HT. A smallish long and narrow unit containing 2 or 3 small base drivers (3-4 inches!!). It sounded impressive. The base reponse was good. Mind you, Totem spend a lol of time setting up the room. As usual, Vince was around greeting visitors and answering questions.

Focus Audio is demoing their new tube amp - yes amplifier, their first one I think.

Ovation Audio in Markahm was showing their custom designed and made tube amps (KT88 based). Driving the big Proac, the sound was great. The price was less than 3000 cdn$. The designer told me the output transformer was customer designed by him and maufactured in China. The amp uses a beefy PC board and the lay out was neat and tidy. He mentioned that the PC board allows easy repair when needed - just swap out the board instead of checking each component in a point to point set up. In the plan are amps that used the DHT300B and 211. The face plate and casing looked retro - resembled that of the ARC big amps of bygone days. Plus there were 2 big UV meters which I think it can do without.

Regards,

Sure, I'd be interested.

Hi, merlin

Should have responded earlier, sorry. Look like it is only you and me. Come to think about it, this being the Thanksgiving weekend - probably not the best time to meet since a lot of people are having family gethering. Let's try some other time, hopefully more people will be able to join.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,