Hehehe.. sillyscope...

Attachments

• _20190613_092704.jpg
    _20190613_092704.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 115
  • _20190613_092754.jpg
    _20190613_092754.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 110
If you purchase test gear based on need only, then you are no geek.

I have one active scope and two 'spares', one of them still in the garage waiting for me to power it on. Oh, and another one that I fished out of the e-waste that looks like it's decades old and it's some kind of ancient portable one and I fished it out because it's a kind of test gear archaeological find. I think that meets the criteria for geekdom :)

I have one active scope and two 'spares', one of them still in the garage waiting for me to power it on. Oh, and another one that I fished out of the e-waste that looks like it's decades old and it's some kind of ancient portable one and I fished it out because it's a kind of test gear archaeological find. I think that meets the criteria for geekdom :)

Doesn't matter :D. I have 5 scopes, from 100MHz to 50GHz, and gave away for free two more (a Tek 453 and a Tek 2246) to save some space.

syn08,

If you purchase test gear based on need only, then you are no geek.
Can you explain why you need a 50GHz scope,esp for DIY audio type designs?
I used a 50GHz scope at one time, for 10Gbps fibre channel designs. There were 4 XAUI channels that go in/out of the Intel 10G serdes from a Marvell Alaskan XGMII part.
Needs vary, some buy this stuff just for bragging rights, geek or no geek. For a big company we had to write up a damn good reason in order to have a budget set aside to purchase an expensive scope or anything else for that matter.

Bigun,
I say syn08 buys, just based on his scope bragging, part of his initiation, that is if he decides he wants to join our elite group. If he does not drink, I have other stuff for him to chew on instead of his cud :devilr:

Can you explain why you need a 50GHz scope,esp for DIY audio type designs?

Because my fun goes well beyond audio. You have no idea how much fun is to experiment with microwave circuits built on microstrip. It's 90% clever design and testing, and only 10% effort to build. Audio is the other way around.

I posted these pics before :D. Everything a human can hope to get for measurements from 1uHz to 50GHz. Frequency range decreases from left to right. Everything is controlled by a time/frequency GPS reference and is on GPIB/HPIB. ATE software is another fun thing to do.

Trivia: the whole lab powered up takes about 80 amps.

BTW, too late for initiation, been there last time but didn't last long; you guys were looking way to happy to be bothered by a kranky old fart as myself :D.

Attachments

• IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited: