Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I might bring a very rough prototype that isn't completed yet. It will be 35 ~ 40 wpc when it's done. I have custom transformers from Hammond that I am dying to hear. Also a custom power transformer. It is based on an Eico HF-87 (which I also have - but working). It promises to be a lot better than the Eico. Much better steel and thinner laminations. I have Chris at Hammond engineering to thank for these things.

If these work out well, I'll be selling them, but in a much nicer chassis!

-Chris

too bad I cannot make the event :(.

btw if anyone there knows some one who would like to have a pair of Elsinores, I am thinking of letting mine go; (just too many speakers around the house at this point). I am down in Windsor. you can PM me for contact info. Thanks.

and enjoy the meetup.

Umm, for the wish list for Saturday:

1. good weather.... a long shot
2. more chairs
3. REW or other testing gear and a calibrated mic and mic stand... A-B switch?

Ben

"I'm more calibrated than you can imagine!"

ok.jpg

Everyone bring folding chairs.

PS koja, we'll cheers you!

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Looks like this will be our largest meet to date...

Since there's a bunch of people attending, I thought I'd mention a few projects I'm working on so please look me up if you want to chat or exchange ideas etc...

I am rebuilding my second Garrard 301 turntable - my plan is to keep one TT 100% original and tweak the other.

I am also looking to replace my Audio Research SP8 preamp with a more modern Tube design with passive RIAA eq. Sy's design published here is tempting.

I am also building my own cables and want to keep this endeavor scientific and snake-oil free.

My recent builds include Dynaco MK3 inspired monoblocks, A tube tester and simple mains powered strobe.

Please look me up if you would like to compare notes, discuss bench equipment or just chat...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jaimo,
Have you rebuilt your preamp? Sometimes you can make massive improvements in the sound quality by doing that. Sometimes I'll sneak some modern circuitry into an old preamp that really allows it to come alive.

I expect to be there as well. Even if we have freezing rain.

-Chris

Hi Jaimo,
Have you rebuilt your preamp? Sometimes you can make massive improvements in the sound quality by doing that. Sometimes I'll sneak some modern circuitry into an old preamp that really allows it to come alive.

I expect to be there as well. Even if we have freezing rain.

-Chris

I'm reluctant to make any changes to the SP8 which is in great condition. (I'm pretty sure I can do better with a fresh design from the likes of Stuart Yaniger or Allen Wright.) Apart from a low noise floor, I am also getting lazy and would like a remote control, etc.

All I did was update the pre to the latest manufacturer's revision and bypassed the bad vactrol which I will replace at some point before selling.

I can see it all now - a mini Rogers center - $12 beer, $20 for parking, $8 Popcorn

Surely you have more than 96 seats available! ;)

But seriously, if things are getting bigger than expected please tell us what we can do to help smooth things out.

Maybe some locals can show early to help set up?

And if we're gonna get some freezing rain :umbrella: , maybe some locals can suggest the safest routes ('98 ice storm, Booyah)

Cheers,
Jeff

PS What a day, I saw hundreds of Jerseys today!

Last edited: