Great 15" efficient drivers- Who has 'Em

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Variac

Radian seems to have rationalised their product line. Though I have some of their pro-drivers (12"LF, 12"co-ax, 8"co-ax, these co-ax are the ones Radian is currently positioning as premium ceiling speakers), the one's I am currently using are with foam surrounds. These were previously their Studio Series, which they don't seem to be offering nowadays. It would be such a shame if they are dis-continued.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, I ordered the woofers, and should get them about monday.
I hope they are similar to what Rodd spec'ed. That's just what I need I think, but we shall see. Spec's could be completely different. They are new old stock I believe, and I'm a little worried about what appears to be a foam surround. Anyone know how much an official JBL surround replacement costs? Do JBL foam surrounds degenerate?.

I'm crossing my fingers that they will sound GREAT!

Mark

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
One of the biggest enemies of foam rubber are certain solvents and their fumes, like acetone (fingernail polish remover) or keytone. Also some glues like model airplane glue and the fumes it gives off while curing.

The silent surround killer is ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet will polymerize (harden) the foam until it eventually crumbles to dust (did you ever see an old rubber tire with dry-rot). That's why I always keep the (black) grills on. Hopefully, that will help to slow the process.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by roddyama The silent surround killer is ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet will polymerize (harden) the foam until it eventually crumbles to dust (did you ever see an old rubber tire with dry-rot). That's why I always keep the (black) grills on. Hopefully, that will help to slow the process.

there is also a water based tile grout sealant i have used with good sucess to increase the longevity of foam surrounds... i'll have to dig out a bottle to get the brand.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Eminence does build a lot of drivers for a lot of companies, but I don't think for JBL. They are part of the Harmon Group which does make drivers. The metal baskets look completely different as do other things, so I don't think we can match it even if it was made by Eminence

As you know I certainly believe that Eminence could (and might right now) make a driver equal in performance to JBL stuff, but I just don't know.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
Eminence does build a lot of drivers for a lot of companies, but I don't think for JBL. They are part of the Harmon Group which does make drivers. The metal baskets look completely different as do other things, so I don't think we can match it even if it was made by Eminence

JBL does get some drivers made out of house... it all comes down to what is most cost effective.

For 15" drivers they are likely built in-house thou.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I got my 15" JBL's today. Here are some pics.
The carton they are in is addressed to the JBL consumer division which would jibe with the little info I have that they were for a $2500 home speaker (each or a pair? :confused: )
They are certainly built to pro PA standards!

Anyway they are new and are 8 ohm and the surround is a type of foam but I pressed on it and no cracks and it sprung back fine. The cone is coated with something (aquaplas?) but feels light. The frame is massive and has black crinkle paint. The magnet is massive and the whole thing weighs over 25 lbs.

I may be able to get more . The price would be around $125 each I think in quantity, plus shipping which is about $25 each I'll bet. If I decide to do this I'll post in the Trading post. E-mail if you would be interested.

Attachments

• online spk 008.jpg
    online spk 008.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 501
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks, not a bad idea.
I got 2 of 'em but the rest are now gone. I was pretty tempted by 4 per channel on an open baffle. The price would have been less each. Then I would have had enough total excursion for some shaping down to serious bass, and 8 ohms to boot. Also 4 15" per side have a certain charm.. No room for that really so I hesitated. Probably for the best!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey! No tormenting or torturing fellow forum members!!
It's the law!!! :judge:
Yes , I'm kinda sad I didn't go for it. I had a plan: 2 PHL 16 ohm mids and a Stage Accompany tweeter. I spend too much time dreaming about DIY Audio and not enough working!, so I really would have had a hard time paying for even the 8 woofers (total cost: less than $800 :bawling: Not to mention: like all of us, I do my best work (and make my "best" decisions) when my wife is out of town. She is very close by at the moment which is a very good thing, but that inhibits my most "creative" projects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.