Grace F-90 bent cantilever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This was in great shape apparently but due to poor packing method (sticky tape used to fasten the back side of the cartridge inside a paper tube). It came loose during shipping and had bent the cantilever...horrified I attempted to straighten by hand with success...under magnifying glass a small kink is visible though...was wondering about how I might make this kink go away...apply some heat with a soldering iron and use tweezers to squeeze the sides of the cantilever adjacent to the kink...haven't tried it yet but this stylus is rare line contact if was the original that came with the F-90...the seller says he will replace if I send it back but with what?..anyone out there ever tried to repair a aluminum cantilever?...not broken just kinked from being bent :eek:

If the cantilever is straight, just use it "as is". Getting a "kink" out of a hollow cantilever would be an amazing feat.

This is an F9 right? Never heard of an F-90. The SoundSmith did a run of replacement stylus for the F9's. Wonder if they have any left?

jeff

Its a Grace SF-90 actually with integrated headshell...was apparently equipped with a line contact stylus...I don't think the F-9's were ever given more than an elliptical...soundsmith still makes replacements and may try one some day...I own an F-9 and still think it is a hard cartridge to beat

Last edited:
It does appear to be the grey stylus. I bet the original stylus was taken out by the person who dropped the cartridge, putting that ding in the aluminum body.:(

jeff

Attachments

• SF-90 ding.jpg
    SF-90 ding.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 115
Once you bend aluminum at this level, it will not return to the same state even if by chance you were to come close to the the original shape
This would affect the resonant nature of the combination amd unfortunately, the natural resonant peak would occur at a lower frequency and more than likely, dull sound
The original strength is gone

Regards
David

You can NOT heat the cantilever sufficiently without also toasting the glue that holds the stylus and the damping on the suspension, not to mention overheating the moving coils. Forget that idea entirely.

You are not going to fix it. Nobody can.

Either live with it, or send it back.

Me, I send it back. I would have sent it before touching it. Ur totally lucky that it did not stress crack and break off.

_-_-bear

Place a magnifying glass *directly* on the lens of your camera, put the camera in MACRO mode, depress the shutter slightly to get the autofocus to work, then move the camera in or out as needed to get sharpest focus, click shutter.

You will get closeup.

I have also used eye loupes for closer still... you need good light though.

Place a magnifying glass *directly* on the lens of your camera, put the camera in MACRO mode, depress the shutter slightly to get the autofocus to work, then move the camera in or out as needed to get sharpest focus, click shutter.

You will get closeup.

I have also used eye loupes for closer still... you need good light though.
Thanks bear...will try to photo it that way...don't know what he gonna do with it after I send it back but I think he wants more proof so maybe the picture will suffice ...should demand the same though...grey or clear stylus holder was the only line contacts made for grace

You can NOT heat the cantilever sufficiently without also toasting the glue that holds the stylus and the damping on the suspension, not to mention overheating the moving coils. Forget that idea entirely.

You are not going to fix it. Nobody can.

Either live with it, or send it back.

Me, I send it back. I would have sent it before touching it. Ur totally lucky that it did not stress crack and break off.

_-_-bear

but this has no moving coils...its a mm cartridge...stylus not glued like a cheap knock off either me thinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.