Gotta love what Alpine are doing with their headunits... :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's inIngenious as it is rugged and reliable, our V-Drive MOSFET power unit boosts the voltage to 17.2 volts so the amplifier can convert this into a 60Watts x 4. With power to spare for large musical peaks, this amplifier will deliver the full dynamic range of digital sources with stunning sound clarity from bass, mid and high ranges

gotta love it... I mean, my maths suggests 37 watts rms with a PERFECT amplifier.. which isn't going to happen.. :p

and what about the heat?? I doubt it would be class D... maybe its not class AB either.. maybe its class G or H or whatever it was.. lol but you are NOT going to get 60 watts X 4 from 17.2 volts, in a small almost sealed metal box, inside a car.. :p

SkinnyBoy said:
It's inIngenious as it is rugged and reliable, our V-Drive MOSFET power unit boosts the voltage to 17.2 volts so the amplifier can convert this into a 60Watts x 4. With power to spare for large musical peaks, this amplifier will deliver the full dynamic range of digital sources with stunning sound clarity from bass, mid and high ranges

gotta love it... I mean, my maths suggests 37 watts rms with a PERFECT amplifier.. which isn't going to happen.. :p

and what about the heat?? I doubt it would be class D... maybe its not class AB either.. maybe its class G or H or whatever it was.. lol but you are NOT going to get 60 watts X 4 from 17.2 volts, in a small almost sealed metal box, inside a car.. :p

No doubt there is marketeering. However with a Bridge Tied Load (BTL) 150 watts is available to a 4 ohm load assuming you can go from rail to rail. They probably can't but at a power supply voltage of 17.2V...more power is available than you might imagine.

Heat is a good point though the dissipation of a BTL configuration is quite high. Check out the National appnote for the LM-3886 bridged configurations.

Scott

Skinnyboy,

just like all headunits that say 4x40W or 4x50W and have 4x18W RMS, the alpine also doesn't give you 60W RMS. The installation guide of the Alpine CDA7894RB says the output power is 60W MAX, NOT RMS.

The RMS power is around 25W RMS.

Grtz, Joris

Vigier said:
Skinnyboy,

just like all headunits that say 4x40W or 4x50W and have 4x18W RMS, the alpine also doesn't give you 60W RMS. The installation guide of the Alpine CDA7894RB says the output power is 60W MAX, NOT RMS.

The RMS power is around 25W RMS.

Grtz, Joris

but the guy at tonkins said the headunit would give more power than an old Clarion amp my friend bought and I fixed that it using +-20 volt rails...

and they had "50 watt" headunits, and then they released new models that were 60 watts... :xeye: and they DO NOT say max... or rms... or anything... :p

Hi,

As far as I know, the 25W RMS is at 1% THD+N. (not measured by Alpine, but a German carhifi magazine)

If you don't want to turn the volume high, the power of those amplifiers is enough, but if you want a little more, you MUST have an external amplifier.

Right now I have a Pioneer DEH-P77MP (the CDA7894RB has been stolen a few months ago), and use a Emphaser EA4100-500 to get enough power. I NEVER use the amplifiers in the headunit because of the lack of power, en the poor quality (compared to good external amplifiers)

Grtz, Joris

I'm just going to take my brothers advice and get a head unit which does not contain power amplifiers. That gives them more room to put in a better preamp etc. Makes perfect sense, however they're usually pretty costly. Too bad we can DIY mp3 CD players with really nice preamps (tubes even? Not that I use tubes).

Anyway, my head unit amplifier claims 160W max power into 4 channels. For one, I'm sure there's only two amplifiers in it, and I'm also sure it can't even hit 160W for even the smallest fraction of a second.

My next head unit will be ampless, and all my amps are likely to be gainclones.

Pete

Yes, you can...

by the way, there is no reason to buy a headunit that hasn't got poweramplifiers in it. You can just buy a Alpine 7894RB of 9815 and don't connect the power-line for the poweramplifiers (there are separate connections for that!). The quality of the pre-amplifier is good enough.

Grtz, Joris

cm961 said:
I'm just going to take my brothers advice and get a head unit which does not contain power amplifiers. That gives them more room to put in a better preamp etc. Makes perfect sense, however they're usually pretty costly. Too bad we can DIY mp3 CD players with really nice preamps (tubes even? Not that I use tubes).

Anyway, my head unit amplifier claims 160W max power into 4 channels. For one, I'm sure there's only two amplifiers in it, and I'm also sure it can't even hit 160W for even the smallest fraction of a second.

My next head unit will be ampless, and all my amps are likely to be gainclones.

Pete

thats why I use my alpine 7939 with digital output.....just a preamp headunit and a better Dac than the reference 7909 unit :whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.