good wire for preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maxpou,

My favorite wires for line-level use from partsconnexion are, in order of preference:

Neotech 24ga OCC silver

Legenburg 20ga rectangular OCC

Neotech 20ga OCC copper

All of these are $0.75- $5/ft. and represent some real metallurgy advances of continuous casting. Yes, I have A/B tested with a remote switch very similar solid core copper & silver drawn wire against the OCC wires - there is an audible clarity with the OCC.

The Legenburg is very similar in geometry to the Kimber instrinsic 2:1. However, while they are both nice wire, I found the Legenburg to sound better. These rectangular wires are great to work with, easy to bend and solder, but I recommend an automatic wire stripper.

The Kimber twisted pair you are using are OK, but any of the above will sound better, IMO.

My in the works line amp will have deep cryoed, long crystal, highly pure solid core copper wire with diam 0,5mm and Teflon as insulation. Not that I am a fan of Teflon but I have not found a good way to stop oxidation of Cu/Ag.

You can also try solid core silver wire with diam 0,5 and use unbleached cotton as insulation.

Best
Sigurd

maxpou said:
Hi guys,
i search a good wire for my preamp, i have a kimber Kable ( http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/wire.html ) twisted pair for the moment. Somebody can suggest to me another wire if i buy to parts connecxion or another later? Thank you! Maxpou

It is not my wire, it is something that you can buy from
several vendors. I make my own wire by putting solid core silver wire into the unbleached cotton sleeving - a very time consuming process!
I then twist either two or four of these wires into a cable - another time consuming process.

Yes, I do have listened to this wire and cables, and they sound very good to me. Excellent dynamics, very detailed mids and a revealing treble that might be too "bright" in some circumstances when the cable is not matched to the rest of the system.

Silver wire and cotton can be found at for ex
http://www.svalander.se/shoppen/silver.htm
and ready made wire at for ex
http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html

If you want silver wire in Teflon, you can get that from for ex
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/bulk_wire.htm

Here's a source for deep cryoed silver wire in cotton:
http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/wire-cable/wire-and-cable-main-page.htm

I have not listened to the deep croyed solid core copper wire. My interest in this type of wire (also made into a cable) is purely out of lack of time to make the above wires/cables.

Sigurd

maxpou said:
hi guys,
thank you for reply, it's very appreciated. I will try your suggestion but i have two questions to Sigurd, do you have make a listenning test with silver wire and where i can found your wire? Thank you! Maxpou

Wire is a touchy subject, and depending on your viewpoint and point of reference you get various prescriptions.

I don't want to commit myself to a specific recipe. Having said that, I have used and do use solid core copper for buss at different times, so I can't say to never use solid core.

I did supply the pure silver wire that I use in my Silver Lightning interconnects for the legendary Blowtorch preamp (see pix in the thread of the same name).

I use it for my own projects, but not always throughout.

Btw, Sigurd, after about 20 years I have not seen any obvious oxidation inside the clear FEP ("teflon") insulation on this wire. May have something to do with the type of "teflon" and/or the manufacturing process...

Personally I think that I hear a different "signature" for copper vs. pure silver. Others seem to think the same. I have no measurements to back up my subjective impressions. I would like to have the gear, time and $$ to do measurements that would show something that seems to correlate.

Fwiw, my personal impression is that even solid core silver and stranded pure silver do not sound identical.

Of course there are all sorts of things that may or may not influence the final "signature." (or lack thereof)

No matter what, paying great attention to the wire in a preamp probably will be very secondary to the circuit design and importantly the implementation. My personal opinion is that IF one does a very top notch job with those two things, only then does it make sense to think too hard about the wire itself (within reason). Otoh, there are also confounding factors that are not well accounted for in some instances - these things throw off the expected results.

I have used stranded SPC in many applications will no ill effects, yet some people really really think SPC is just plain bad.

There is another point of view that goes something like this - don't use one brand of component throughout a piece of gear so that you don't "accumulate" a single sonic "signature". The idea is that you get whatever the tendency (assuming there is one) of any given brand of component, you stack them up and they become noticeable. Spread them out and you get a lowered "Q" (in effect) making it more like "spreading resonances".

FYI, I'm not selling my pure silver stranded wire at the present time, but I may make a Group Buy offering to the community in the not to distant future depending on some things I have to work out with the factory that makes the wire for me.

Dunno if I said anything or not?

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.