Good value wall treatment?

I am looking to buy a house that has a decent option for an audio room. It is about 12' (3.6m) wide and 28' (8.6m) long. I would prefer a bit wider and a bit shorter, but it's better than most options we've seen so far. It's on the ground floor. The floor is tile on concrete. One long wall is probably concrete blocks with plaster and two french doors. The other three walls are (I think) plaster blocks. The plaster is all bare - no wallpaper, paint, or anything on there. It's quite live right now. I'm wondering what I should be looking at for wall treatments to make it more neutral. There will be a couch in there, and probably an area rug, which will help a bit. Acoustic wall panels look to run about 175 euros per 60cm (two feet) of wall length, which adds up pretty quickly even if I'm looking to do live end / dead end.

The speakers in question are Magnepan Tympani IVs, with the mid/tweeter panels separated so they can be placed in front of the bass panels. The sub is a VMPS new larger sub. The room is smaller, or, at least, narrower, than the room I used to have this setup in. Oh, I also do have a DEX2496 and DEQ2496 which can allow for quite a lot of EQ to help adjust for resonances, at least.

Ideas? Wood panelling, maybe? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
In this room, and in rooms like it:
as much carpet coverage on the floor as possible.
as many drapes on the windows as possible.
as much padded furniture as possible.
I haven't found wood paneling to make an improvement, and sometimes it's worse.

A combination of diffusers and absorption normally is the way to go. Cheap absorbers can be made of mineral wool or reused cotton (if you're concerned about fibers) blankets in frames, covered with fabric. There are quite a few leads on the web, the BBC published quite good stuff on this long ago. Good DIY diffusers certainly are an option too, there are some calculators around for QRD or similar techniques around.

I'd opt for diffusers on ceiling and side walls in the listening area and adequate absorption spread out on the boundaries. The front wall certainly needs diffusers too, considering your dipoles. The obvious rug on the floor certainly helps but is nowhere enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Diffusion can be expensive compared to absorption, but works better for open baffle and dipoles in my experience.

I’ve found Magnapans to sound rather disappointing when there were no (or very few) reflections behind them. Other OB speakers are similar, losing energy in the mid bass with no wall behind them. Magnapans seem to lose a lot of their good qualities without the reflections.

That’s why I like diffusion on the wall behind them much more than absorption. Keep the engergy, but spread it around.

Use a Area rug for floor.
The walls use a "audio grade" product called.....
Drapes
Or use what movie theatres use.
Combination of drapes and glue weaved / loop carpet ( cheap office carpet)
to the walls
1714457872748.png

Last edited: