• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

good sound with cheapo chokes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joel said:
Ok John, then why was everybody, including you;), so eager to hear what the capacitance of this choke was? I was told this would "settle the issue".
Speaking only for myself, I was curious to add another datapoint, and my interest in the chokes was for another application. When I make my next "heavy" order from AES (ie surface shipped), I'll oder a couple and see for myself (including measurements).

WRT to your goad about the measurements of other brands, I don't own a single plate choke any more, prefering CCS instead.

Joel,

OK, I stand corrected.
But that's really just the first item in the "how it will behave" list, (after the inductance of course).

Yes, we all suffer the frustrations of making others understand our points and vice versa. But we all have the choice of participation.:)

Now what I do think, is that don't get something for nothing.
More expensive models have the chance of being better, though how much better is so diffficult to determine.

You know, there are 2 kinds of people, sweeping generalisation coming up:
Having a car that likes 98 octane fuel, there are those that put in 97, and those that put in 99 octane. (They didn't sell 98 octane at the time).
I used to put in 99 octane.
What would you have done?

Cheers,

slowmotion said:
Please tell us more, any particular configuration that works for you?
I've tried a few over the years, but I really like <a href="http://home.pacifier.com/~gpimm/">Gary Pimm's designs</a>. Currently I'm experimenting with his BBMCCS in a linestage and have used the 6BQ5 active plateload with excellent results. My "mule" poweramp where I try out things has some of these plateloads, and some larger CCS to try as well.

If you're interested in trying these types of circuits, I'd suggest Gary's as a good place to start. They are very well thought out, and there are measurements to back them up. GP is a Tektronics engineer.

Good luck, and if you do try them, I'd be interested to hear of your experiences.

Cheers

Well, before you consider the cheaper choke to be the lower octane version, I would like to see some valid comparison done on the few specs that are available. I was quite clearly told that this will make a disastrous plate choke. Yet, there are no numbers given to support that statement. I think that's odd, isn't it? It seemed like such a sure statement.:boggled:
Because you must face the reality that maybe the difference in price has less to do with fidelity, and more to do with market determined factors, eh?:devilr:

slowmotion said:
Thanks Brett,

I know, GP's designs probably work very well,
even tho they are full of transistors :eek:

I was thinking of something with valves ,
much more interesting :yummy:

:)
Hunh? The only silicon in the 6BQ5 plate load is a 431 to set a stable bias and a protection diode.

I find the abhorence of silicon in <i>any</i> application amusing. Properly applied it can make a better circuit, if you use the benefits of the sand.

They're not exactly expensive on parts, so why not try them, and make up your mind for yourself.

Choked

Tony,

I asked my engineers at work to measure one for me...Not sure I believe the result as it quite good, although it is inline with Joel's result... I'll ask them to show me how they measured it later.

Results :

Inductance: 143H
Resistance: 3860R
Capacitance: 78pF.

I'm using them as plate and grid chokes in an ECL82 SE amp. Before it was a standard plate resistor and capacitor coupled design. It opened up the sound and made the bass more tuneful - maybe a bit deeper as well.

hope this helps

James

Hmmm...

1 / (2 pi sqrt[FC]) shows resonance at about 1.5kHz if I worked the Windows calculator right... Of course, this is an impedance of some 650k, or should I say infinity, since it's parallel resonant (I presume). So any triode will more than well damp it, and even a pentode (such as 6AQ5) would get away with it well I bet.

An impedance vs. frequency graph would sure be nice, since parallel capacitance tells us nothing of HF performance, where the inductance is series resonant (low impedance) with the interwinding capacitance.

Otherwise, it does sound nice! :bulb: :)

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.