Good News Nakamichi Lovers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: CD 700

opualuan said:
I am also looking to hook up an ipod to my CD700. Given that the CD changer controls are common to older Sony CD changers, is it possible there is an IPOD integration kit out there for old Sony decks that we could use/adapt? I have heard of but cannot find an adapter from the old Sony 13-pin to unilink. from unilink there are are a lot of integration options.

I do not know of a commercially available anything for old Sony/Denon/Eclipse/Nak protocol. but stay tune i hope to have some soon!

Zc

CONTROL is the easy part. I can whip that up in a couple hours with very few parts. I can even make it wireless if you want.

wireless control using the nak remote might be a little tougher but not nearly impossible.

But displaying information on a nakamichi faceplate? that is very hard.

By the way Zero, I am dying for your success. I would just LOVE LOVE LOVE a way to interface multiple CD changers to the nakamichi cd player. Just thinking about hooking up four MF-51's to an MB-(whatever) cd player for a 26 disc capacity without sacrificing the AUX input all transmitted digitally for conversion through the nak DAC is just too awesome a concept to ignore.

I have 90% of the protocol decoded. I need to run a few more checks to see how the unit starts up and if there is any handshaking going on. and then I will start experimenting with emulating a cd changer using a MCU board. from that I will learn what bits are missing (pun intended). once I have a successful emulator worked out. i can plug the iPod code in.

there might be a setback in the 99 disc possibility. The nak uses two control lines to talk TO the cd changer and two lines to receive date FROM the changer. the data lines suggest up to 99 discs are possible, but in decoding the commands from the Nak to the changer im not so sure that anymore then 10 are supported? this come from how the bits are worked out in the disc change command. I don't have a 12 disc changer on hand to see what happens past disc 10. how it calls up disc 11 etc. The commands from the nak are totally different then the data being sent back.

So...don't hold your breath just yet. but do stay tuned. once i get a tester worked out i may want you to do some beta testing!

the new logic analyzer has sped things up 20 fold!

opualuan said:
argh. After several exhausting nights scouring the web I'm very glad you're working on something. Came up completely empty. I have a CD700 I'd like to use to control an ipod, I'm patiently waiting in line for your controller!

As far as i know. no one has ever made any sort of interface for the Nak decks. one company was supposed to have had a device that would plug a nak changer into factory radios but i don't know if it ever hit the streets.

well....confusing news.....So on reports that old Eclipse cd changers work on the Nak protocol. I bought an old 12 disc eclipse changer. I need to find a 10+ disc changer that works on the nak protocol to see how the nak headunit handles control commands past disc 10..IF, it can handle more then 10 disc's that is....

So, after much futzing with the eclipse to clean it up and get it working. i find that it does NOT work on the nak bus!! this may been too old of a changer??? its a 93 model. and it has a switch on the side labeled Serial/Buss, I have a Nak in store display controller that will run it when switched on the serial setting. which makes sense as the Nak bus is a form of serial control. But when a Nak headunit is plugged into the changer, it gets confused and wont operate. Havent scoped the buss to see whats different, but it doesn't matter as if it doesn't work on the nak then i cant use it anyway.... So that is a bit of a setback.

hi zero,

wish i could help. I have a known good denon changer but only 10 disc. Have you looked for a denon 12 disc?

something to think about. My cd player disc display doesnt use an 7 segment display for the tens place, just a 1. So you might be limited to 19 disc emulation rather than 99, if you get more than 10.

Im still rooting for your success! Good luck, dont give up. If you think a denon 10 disc changer would help (i dont see how, BUT) you just let me know.

Thanks. Here is why I ask.
I'm using two PPI 730 processors. Each has a 100ma remote output. I'm assuming they have their own remote "power supply" and do not depend on the remote input current. So if the HU is 50ma that could turn on both processors and then I have 200ma to turn on everything else.

bobduch said:
Thanks. Here is why I ask.
I'm using two PPI 730 processors. Each has a 100ma remote output. I'm assuming they have their own remote "power supply" and do not depend on the remote input current. So if the HU is 50ma that could turn on both processors and then I have 200ma to turn on everything else.

I would bet your right. does your proccessors have 4 power leads? Batt, ground, remote in and remote out? if so it probably has its own internal switch. you should be ok turning on two proccessors from the Nak.

you can always use a DVm on the current setting to measure the turn on current from the remote line of each device. add it all up and see where your at. probably a good idea anyway if your turning on a lot of stuff.

Zc

It does have 4 leads. One being for remote in and one being for remote out.
I'll check with meter too.
what I really want to do is turn everything (two Tru 4.65's, one Sony ES 4056, a small Nak amp and the second PPI processor) on from the first processor and use the second processor for the Velo sub and amp (modded LP 2502iq). The remote outs have 2 second delay and I want to minimize turn on thump to the Velodyne.

Zero, lemme get your opinon.

I need to create an interlock line from the AUX output of my CD player. Ideally, a simple digital output pulled high or low when in AUX mode.

I can do this with the radio source, I'm 99% sure I can do this with the CDC source, but not sure how to do it with the AUX source. My original idea was to sense REM, P.Ant, and CDC-Remote all together. if P.ant and cdc-rem are low, then the unit is either in CD or AUX mode.

But how do I distinguish CD from AUX? Got stuck here. Unfortunately, the source order goes from CD to AUX, so I can't sense when another line gets pulled low (like I could if it went from FM to AUX directly.)

I'd like to avoid reading logic lines for the moment. Any ideas on how to accomplish it?

I'm trying to do something very mundane but am running into problems.

I have a Nak CDP 2A player (bought in 1985 or so, new). The CD tray will not come out most of the time. It tries, but seems to be stuck.

I have three questions.

1. Do you know where I can find a repair manual?
2. I'm trying to remove the cover and have removed the obvious screws but the cover does not seem to want to come off. Any suggestions?
3. If I do get the cover off am I likely to be able to fix the problem. If so, any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Thanks
Gabe

So I saw this thread, got excited and signed up.

I was HOPING that someone could help me.

I recently purchased a Naka CD-350 and wanted to tap into the 13 pin cd changer cable to add Aux in.

does anyone have the layout of the pins? And also do I need to add a resistor across any pins (had to on a kenwood years back) to trick it into thinking a Changer is plugged in?

heres some pics. Dont mind the film on the front, there was some tape on the faceplate during shipping.

Thanks
Mike

5958938170_459072e5f4_z.jpg

5958378753_4bf6099cbb_z.jpg

And heres the inside.
The connector up top next to CN505 is from the Changer. Im thinking thats power to Changer (havent checked yet)
The next connector from the cable is to the right side next to R406 (red, orange, brown)
The last one is the one towards the bottom, the 7 wire one.
5958379711_8760653396_b.jpg

The more I looked at my board last night too I came up with this thought

(remind you this is all before I have power to this. Which will be this weekend)

Im thinking the three wire connector with the red orange brown is the power output to the changer, and the red white black is the audio. The "f output" rca wires are three wire, white red and a clear wire. It makes sense that the CD would be similar for its changer input.

I look forward to anyones input or help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.