• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Gold Lion KT88 Issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2010, 6th month production (June).

That's WAY after the one batch I was referring to as a bit sub-par.

Good. The seller is sending two replacements free, so we will see how it goes.

No hurry, because I gave away my two speakers to a friend. We are getting new furniture and the big 3-ways just did not fit in the new room.

Time to crank up a design for a new pair that will be friendlier for the room. :)

BTW, what are the production dates of the tubes you have? There was one production run maybe 3-4 years ago that seemed to have more than its share of issues, but I suspect those tubes are out of stock for most guys.

Yes, exactly have 2 quad's of Gold Lion's KT-88 0806.... of my Cary SLM-100 mono blocks.

One set with good bias matching the other :rolleyes:

The good set worked for two times about 4 hours without any issue ... then after power on in stand by mode, there was a crackle and then a loud hum out of the speaker....

Then I opened the amp and went to the point of hum: the grid went internally shorted (as more or less 0 Volts) of one part of the PP :eek:

Cheers

Hp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.