GM JX92S MLTL-48 Triangle (JIT for UK Meet)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I have had a pair of JX92S in the project to-do-list since the end of 2004. Funny thing my project stack is not FILO of FIFO a random collection of events occationally trigger activity on one or sometimes several projects. Some continue to completion (or as near to completion as I ever finish a project) some get advanced or a few extra components sourced and pushed back on the stack. There is nothing quite like a deadline to spur activity (think: last minute homework and exam revision etc). So out with the MDF. Apparently the 48 is more popular than the 31. The triangular is more of a challenge than the square box. I like to mitre so how to cut 60 degrees when the saw only adjusts to 45? I added a 15 degree offset to the saw base plate as shown:

PICT0128.jpg
[/IMG]

Usually for boxes I use 18mm MDF for all the sides and 25mm for baffles but with only three sides I went for 18mm. If I were to make them again I would use 25mm.
I have used Dedsheet panels before but this time I had a bit of roofing felt spare so cut that in to strips and used Evostick solvent free contact glue (much easier to use than the smelly stuff).
I cut and rounded over some off-cuts to brace the sides and front. Leave the front facing leg slightly too long and when the glue sets trim them all level relative to the front with a router.
PICT0129.jpg
[/IMG]

I cut a notch stating about 20mm up from the bottom back point to fit a pair of binding posts the cable is silicon sealed up to the driver. The BAF stuffing is neatly arranged before the front is glued. Finish to taste. What colour have I painted them? Wait and see!
Chris

I like the neat bracing arrangement.

Look forward to seeing pics of the finished cabinet. I know from experience the triangle isn't the easiest of builds and one day I intend to rebuild mine to get a better finished result. I went for thin strips along the corners to hold everything together (three sides inside but looks six out). It sort-of-worked but hand-planing them didn't. I've since discovered the wonders of power sanders ...

Still sound good though.

Hey Chris,
This box got universal praise at the DIY meet - well done.

Can you give some more measurements for the panel sizes, etc for construction - I have 2 JX92S drivers just waiting for a good box to house them. Like you I have too many projects on too many burners & life keeps getting in the way of finishing them. Sounds like a good excuse doesn't it but maybe I'm just lazy, who knows?

John

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
BTW, they were painted desert khaki-ish.

That gives me an idea - we should send them to the Gulf, and let everyone on all sides listen to them. They would do much more for world peace than any amount of tanks and planes.

I can just picture it now, an insurgent planting a bomb stops, listens, and becomes completely distracted by how such a little driver can sound so good! ;)

Greets!

FWIW, on one of the Jordan threads I noted that for corner loading the triangular variant, cutting the lower rear tip off leaving the same vent area (seal up the front vent) yields a bit more gain that can be fine tuned by adjusting the speaker/corner gap.

GM

£200 per pair.
That's not too bad I guess.
If you're going 2 or 3 way, it could be easy to pay that anyway.
Interesting. The plot thickens.

On Saturday, all I heard was classical through these speakers (which was very impressive). Do fullrange/these speakers lend themselves well to other types of music?

Sorry for all the stupid questions. I'm a newbie wrt fullrange.

Cheers,
Phil

philpoole said:
On Saturday, all I heard was classical through these speakers (which was very impressive). Do fullrange/these speakers lend themselves well to other types of music?

I'm also new to fullrange, as in I'd never heard any drivers running full range till the weekend - and then I heard no fewer than three!! One set were open-baffle and had 3 full range drivers (2 x 12" Goodmans Axiom and a smaller (Fostex iirc) driver). These had a very clear and pretty dynamic and extended sound with a lot of detail. They did shout a little bit though. I can't even remember what they were playing though!

The second were just one white driver with a whizzer cone (probs Fostex 8") in a t-line. There was lovely rich bass (albeit with a gap at the upper bass). They sounded pleasant but again with a shouting piercing vocal.

The third set were these beauties and they were quite different to the others. At first I was disappointed because there was very little audible treble (I was off-axis and it was clearly quite rolled off). A few tracks in and the ears did acclimatise and what became increasingly apparent was a coherent, smooth quality... and an extremely rich cosseting bass. It seemed miraculous to hear such extended and relatively clean bass from such a small (and "full range") driver! I'm certainly a fan of transmission lines.

I popped on my Eric Clapton Unplugged cd (awesome music, perfect test disc) and the way these speakers presented vocals and acoustic guitar was really beguiling and relaxing, as good hi-fi should be when playing great music.

It soon becomes apparent that the ultimate details, treble extension, big dynamics and punch aren't necessary to enjoy listening to music, when the fundamentals are correct.

Simon

philpoole said:
£200 per pair.
That's not too bad I guess.
If you're going 2 or 3 way, it could be easy to pay that anyway.
Interesting. The plot thickens.

Phil (again),

Full range are good value IMHO. BSD Correction is essential and needs to be done carefully.

If there is trouble with "other types of music" is usually the bass. When it is artificially enhanced then the controlled resonance wot gives the bass extension in FR can become very confused and start spreading the glutinous rubbish all over the floor (No bias here you understand).

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.