• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GM-70 All done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alrighty, back with some Visual Analyzer results. I bought a sound card interface from Pete Millett. This is into a 6.8 ohm 50 watt resistor. Output transformer 5000 ohm primary using 4 ohm tap.
Output THD
5 watts 0.97
10 watts 1.38
15 watts 1.75
20 watts 2.07
25 watts 2.64
30 watts 3.2%
And attached 1000Hz at 15 watts image. No third harmonic???

Attachments

• 1000Hz_15watts.jpg
    1000Hz_15watts.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 709
20K grid choke vs. 90K resistor. I swapped between using a 20k grid choke or a 90K resistor to bias the GM70 just to see what difference it made. This is a 10khz square wave.

The blue trace is probe on the GM70 grid. (Ooops was a 100x probe and scope set to 10x so voltage/division should be 10 not 1)

Yellow trace is the 4 ohm output of output transformer with 6.8 ohm load.

Attachments

• 20kgridchoke.png
    20kgridchoke.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 90Kresistor.png
    90Kresistor.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 419
My inclination would be to to house the GM70 in its own pyrex/polycarbonate tubular shroud and cool it with pressurized airflow from a small centrifugal blower located below decks. This is easier to implement for the GM70, as there's no plate cap and associated lead to get in the way of aesthetic design. The heat gets blown up, up, and away, and doesn't trouble adjacent components.
Understand - this is just my senile rumblings - if the present configuration works, more power to it. Having said that, though, this is how I'm going to work with an 813-based monoblock I have in mind. In addition to the cooling benefits, the cooling shroud will keep inquisitive fingers away from the plate cap. For those folks contemplating amps with tubes that require a heat dissipating (but hideously dangerous) aluminum plate cap (100TH, 100TL, etc.), the cooling shroud offers a approach that makes engineering sense, but salves the conscience as well...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.