Gjallerhorn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Josh, does the Gjallerhorn suffer from any ringing the way the DTS10 with the TC LMSR 12 did? It seemed to have stored energy in the 55hz and 100hz regions compared to the sealed version. I wonder if that would manifest audibly as a muddying of the sound.

LMSR 12 sealed:
T_Dsealvsprwaterfall_zps3a2b672c.jpg

LMSR 12 in TH:
T_Esealvsthwaterfall_zps42d46085.jpg

"Look Dear, they are not $1000 a piece as I stated but a low $925 each. The boxes are a few dollars for some wood. They will blend in with the decor of the theater nicely when its dark. You will hardly notice them."

You could probably sell the idea as "This could very well be the last subwoofer I'll need for the next 30 years."

Of course, that's not accounting for the extra home maintenance due to infrastructure damage resulting from the volatile combination of multi-thousand watt amplifiers and alcohol.

It appears that all TH's and even most undersized FLH's have some associated ringing. Almost all FLH's would be considered undersized BTW. Now I have only measured 2 FLH's which are not public on DB and a handful of TH's. These occur at harmonics of the cabinets fundamental loading frequency and will usually show up as a sharp peak in response. With TH's this occurs at the sharp midband peak seen in the models. Some are better than others. If you have a TH with a loading above 25-30Hz you can push this up past 100Hz. The lower the loading of the cab the lower in frequency this occurs and thee more undersized the horn typically so it gets more pronounced. Compare the GH vs the DTS10 vs the Othorn. The self damping of the driver and the throat loading also seem to play big roles in the severity of the ringing. EQing these peaks down helps some but does not eliminate it. It can be audible with the right material. Danley used tuned resonant pipes to clean this up in the dts20 but this adds even further design complexity. I don't know if anyone has DIYed that type of thing yet.

The GH rings at about 63Hz. The dts10 at about 55Hz. The Othorn ringing is up near 103Hz. If you look at the Othorn measurements it is by far the cleanest decaying of the 3. I happen to think it is the best sounding TH I have heard yet. But I haven't heard everything. That said I run my GH's with EQ to beat down the peaks where the ringing occurs and a sharp LR 4th order high pass at 80Hz. I don't notice any smearing or ringing while listening to music. It is likely buried by the other issues induced by the room acoustics. I haven't had a chance to do extended listening to a full system outdoors to see if this is the case. Anyway I feel that the extra output headroom, lowered deep bass THD and sensitivity make up for it subjectively.

Last edited:
There might be a driver that could work in this but the horn was designed for one driver. And there is only one other driver that sort of works but has been found to not work that great and that is the UXL. So it has been decided that it is best to design another horn or find a working Ultra for sale.

Hi !

If someone could tell Ricci (or if he see this post himself) that someone is commercializing the Gjallarhorn there :

Margotto F.lli Falegnameria » AUDIO DEFINITION P.A. GJALLARHORN 1X18" - #3242475 - Gli artigiani di Mercatino Musicale Pro

Maybe he's alert of that but I found that strange.

Hmm...Thanks for the info. I was unaware. Looks like they are selling a whole bunch of kits and cabinets from a variety of places. I see some JBL and other DIYers on there as well. That's not even the V2 cab they are doing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.