Giga Mosfet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zen Mod said:

did you tried good one ?

( I presume that peeked one wasn't good for trying ...... :rofl: )

No, as I saw no point in doing so, due to the rather hefty input capacitance.

It was actually a perfectly good mosfet I opened, as I wondered if it was one big mosfet, or many smaller dies in parallel.

If you take a look at the data sheet, you will find that the input capacitance VS. wattage, is not too far off being the same as a bunch of IRFP xxxx in parallel.

Now, go take a look at "home".

Magura :)

Tyimo said:

Yes, please!:)

Tyimo

Check out advanced power technologies power mosfet modules. 750w in a SOT 224/227 (recalling from memory) package (more for bus bar use). They are almost certainly what the devices are.

I was referring to much bigger mosfets like 50A-200A continous types for motor use.

PS. Can't seem to find this company anymore! Has it been taken over recently? Or was it Applied power technologies ? US company.

Kevin

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Of course it is clear that the devices are not being run any where
near their ratings. If you want to play with this circuit, there is no
need to chase down those particular parts, and it is clear that they
are parallel devices in a package anyway.

Interestingly, because they have been designed for switching, you
do not have an assurance that those chips are actually matched
for linear operation.

:cool:

Lars Clausen said:
I'd suggest going for a single die device instead of a random SOT227 part.

The biggest one you can get will disappate upwards of 800W from a single die, and then you don't have the potential oscillation problem associated with using the random twin die part, in the linear region.

Originally posted by Nelson Pass
Interestingly, because they have been designed for switching, you
do not have an assurance that those chips are actually matched
for linear operation.

This is wrong, being made on the same case/fabrication means the capacitances/characterisitics align very closely otherwise you will get hotspots etc and it wouldn't be a 750 watt part with manufacturer's warranty or SOA! .

Regards

Kevin

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fanuc said:
This is wrong, being made on the same case/fabrication means the capacitances/characterisitics align very closely otherwise you will get hotspots etc and it wouldn't be a 750 watt part with manufacturer's warranty or SOA! .

I don't doubt that the chips are from the same lot code, but that is no
assurance that the Vgs is matched. If the part is designed for switching,
the manufacturer is unlikely to care about that and is unlikely to go to the
trouble of matching dies. If they did, I expect that the data sheets would
be bragging about it.

:cool:

Lars!

I'd suggest going for a single die device instead of a random SOT227 part.

The biggest one you can get will disappate upwards of 800W from a single die, and then you don't have the potential oscillation problem associated with using the random twin die part, in the linear region.
Please show me one! Which model?

Greets:

Tyimo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That Coolmos is in a stock TO-247 package, so you can load it at best with about 30 W - just as the original parts.

Well, but the 40 S transconductance could help :D

A real switcher, not even a transconductance plot in the datasheet.

Have fun, Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.