Getting into LP... for real!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thought you'd never give up on the Greystattions

Well, the PSX is sitting in a corner for quite a bit of time. I've been able to get an other gear to replace the one that was broken lately, but I still don't have a suitable output stage, good caps being hard to find around here.

(If I can do it, anyone can.. Don't even need to be technically proficient.

I got lost.

anybody can build an arm, or replinth a table (or even build your own)..

The problem is to be able to find something else than a picture or too simplistic scheme to be able to build the ones I can find. Why: I don't know how tonearms other than the Technics SL-B200's T4P look like, so I have no real idea of what you mean. Also, I just read about low-profile carts, etc. and see that a tonearm should almost be built for a cartridge. I saw you used TT adjustment tools, but I don't own any of these.

DragonMaster said:
The problem is to be able to find something else than a picture or too simplistic scheme to be able to build the ones I can find. Why: I don't know how tonearms other than the Technics SL-B200's T4P look like, so I have no real idea of what you mean. Also, I just read about low-profile carts, etc. and see that a tonearm should almost be built for a cartridge. I saw you used TT adjustment tools, but I don't own any of these.
Not to flog a dead horse, but Ortofon (and other makers for all I know) makes integrated hi-fi cartridges that fit directly to a 1200 tonearm, i.e. no cartridge alignment necessary.

You should not confuse the pro-grade 1200 series with your current table. Two completely different machines.

http://www.kabusa.com/ortofon.htm

Cc_pro_sL.jpg

Dumbass said:
Not to flog a dead horse, but Ortofon (and other makers for all I know) makes integrated hi-fi cartridges that fit directly to a 1200 tonearm, i.e. no cartridge alignment necessary.

You should not confuse the pro-grade 1200 series with your current table. Two completely different machines.

http://www.kabusa.com/ortofon.htm

Cc_pro_sL.jpg
I just found out that Ortofon will no longer allow Kevin at kabusa.com to sell Ortofon's hi-fi cartridges, because Kevin sells the 1200, which is considered a DJ product:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/554734.html

This is purely a marketing "strategy", having nothing to do with the quality of the 1200 as a hi-fi turntable.

Therefore, I can no longer in good conscience recommend an Ortofon cartridge.

I stand behind my recommendation of the 1200 series, and of Kevin's business as well.

audio-kraut said:
get a decent turntable with a decent arm and a decent cartridge mounted on a decent wallshelf - my lp's sound in most instances a helluvalot better than the cd.

Decent TT - anything by thorens
Decent arm - any old sme in good repair
Decent cartridge - anything by denon that begins with the letters DL..
Decent wallshelf - build your own.

Hi ak and everyone,

Yes, I did the first three on the list and I didn't need the shelf. Rock solid sound, focussed sound stage, huge presence on the best recordings and lost of smiles and footapping hereabouts!

Cheers, Nam :D

audio-kraut said:

Maybe in theory - but I run a dl 103 on an sme II with great results.
This cxombination sounds better than teh supposedly better matching V15VxMR.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/search.php?submit=1&keywords=Thorens+

Check here.

I second this. I was warned off the Denon dl103 but I wanted to use my moving coil stage in the Naim preamp. I use the Denon with my SME 3009 II improved and it sounds very sweet to my ears.

Cheers, Nam :cool:

Systemdek llX..

That's one I have kinda always wanted. A long time ago in a place far, far away, HiFi Sound Canada (before "UHF" became "UHF"), did a turntable review. One of the tests was a"suspension isolation test". Not too scientific, but the results for the Systemdek were better than a LP12 in that regard in that test.

The Dunlop Systemdeks were amongst many "almost LP12s" of the day. I know I miss my Heybrook TT2, and wish that I turfed everything else (in turntables that is) to keep and improve it..

The "Systemdek" Profile arm was and still is "OK" but like many of its contemporaries really isn't as good as an Alphason Xenon, Rega RB300, or better.

Dragonmaster... if ya like I'll make ya an arm:)

You dont have to spend lots of money.

I bought a lenco l75 for £40
I cut the side off the chassis and mounted it in 6 layers of 18mm birch ply £30
I added a rega rb250 that i already had, if you havent about £60
im using an ortophon 510mk2 £60
and a cheap cpc phono stage £12

I added a few clips to the arm tube to reduce treble siblance.

This easily beats my marantz cd67se cd player!

You have a cart, and a phono stage, so a lenco, a reasonable arm and a sheet of ply and your sorted.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi DragonMaster,
Jumping in here rather late but ......

Nothing wrong with a Thorens with a stock Thorens arm (they are pretty good, and already mounted!). Stick an Ortofon on it and you are in heaven. That's as long as the belt and bearings are good, as with any table.

Any good table with a heavy base and platter can be ruined by improper packing for shipment.

I've owned at least four Thorens tables and now have a 125 MKII and a 145 MKII (I am looking forward to get going). Never had any problem with any. The better ones get quieter. Well worthwhile. I won't comment on some of the other brands I've had.

Anything by Linn is excellent also.

-Chris

The turntable will have to wait for now, I just found out I spent almost all my money... (On never completed DIY projects mostly... I can't even get all the parts for my new computer now!)

I think I should sell at least one of my 6-7 tuners (For 2 systems)

Right now I have a Grado Black I paid $80 CAD, and I would try to keep it. (Yes, twice the price... Online websites tell me that Grado refused to allow them to sell the carts. outside USA, so I had to buy it locally.)

TD-115 is not that good as bigger Thorenses go - pretty iffy to set up correctly and almost all plastic construction. And in addition changing the tonearm can be a major surgery.

If you happen to see a heavy platter (Goldring) Lenco for a decent sum, that would be ideal from DIY (or refurb) point of view.

-Reko

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi DragonMaster,
I had one of those. It's miles better than your normal turntables (other brands) and would be a very good starting table.

No, it's not as good as some of the others but better than most. Do not change the arm. There isn't anything wrong with it. It is very low mass. I liked the lift at the end. To be honest with you, if I still had mine, I would keep it as a spare.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.