Getting good Efficiency and smooth response, to 3-4-5-way, or not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PJ,

I actually think that it could be put together for a reasonable amount of money. I have a welder and welding skills so to me the steel brackets are no big deal. I would build such things out of scrap metal.

IF you notice if seems like the upper bracket is designed so that the speaker cabinet can be easily removed to work on it. It's just like a stand for the upper cabinet. And I'm just guessing based on the tweeters flange size that the upper cabinet in the picture uses an 8 inch mid/bass and the lower cabinet uses a 15 inch driver.

If I had large enough rooms I would build something like this but I don't so I would love to see someone else build something like this with 100+ sensitivity and high quality drivers.

I can put together some CAD drawings for the brackets for you which you could give to a fabricator should you decide to do something like this.

Check out these 21 inch subs. Wouldn't they make for a nice bass module:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Serious-Sub.html

Hezz said:

kicker is that I will use 4, 6.5 or 7 inch drivers wired in series parallel to give an 8 ohm load for the lower section.

Together, the lower drivers will have the surface area of a 12 inch driver so I should get good air coupling for better bass dynamics.

What about the Usher 8945 or Vifa XG18/PL18
http://www.tymphany.com/xt18wo09-08
http://www.tymphany.com/pl18wo09-08

Vifa and Usher are good VFM speakers.

Still some say that even 4 7" woofers will not reproduce the slam of a single 12". Hence I would consider 3 8" woofers like Vifa's PL22 driven by a SS amp.
http://www.tymphany.com/pl22wr09-08

Hezz said:
I may have an idea for you.

What about something like the Celestion SL 6000 / 600?

I saw that article on the serious sub, pretty cool stuff. I must say though, where could I put those. My room isn't that large and those are monstrous. If I was to make these it would have to be in such a way as to not be overwhelming. Now your idea of placing them as the lower bass driver is a cool one for sure. It would look nice and probably not be too monstrous.

Now for a matching center I would need to lay it all on its side and make it into a WT/MW design. That would be a 21" woofer, then the tweeter and midrange arranged vertically, and then another 21" woofer. Hehe, talk about bragging rights.

You know, while these 21" subwoofers will plumb the depths fine and probably sound great, if you model the response of them, the 20hz bass is down quite a bit from the 100hz point. My own 12" subwoofer using the TC Sounds TC5400 woofer has a flatter response, but I'm sure doesn't play as loud. Makes me wonder what I should do with that sub though. No way its going to have the output ability of the 21" woofers.

Well Hezz if it makes you feel better, at this point, I'm seriously considering this idea, and I'm just waiting on some time to get my stuff together, etc.

PJ,

If you do this I'll be very excited to watch your progress. It sounds like you have this in mind for part of a AV setup with a center channel?

I think those 21 inch drivers being able to fit in a relatively small enclosure roll off a little early and if you used that approach might require a small amount of active equalization.

I think the most artistic approach for a center channel would just be to duplicate the mains but in a smaller size that is not as tall. However this might not work if the screen is very large. Or how about the lower cube only mounted the same way as the mains for a center channel. It could be just a 12 inch super high quailty full range driver.

Sketch of idea:

Attachments

• quick sketch.jpg
    quick sketch.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 170
Ya, the 21 inch driver was just an idea. I think a good 15-18 inch pro bass driver would do the trick. Or, if the bass module was large enough you could put 4-12's or 4-15 inch drivers around all the upper sides of the cabinet and use less expensive non pro drivers which combined in series parallel would give an additional 6db.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ahh, thats the tricky question whether to choose 4 cheap woofers or 1 quality woofer
Multiple woofers should have some benefit in low distortion
But a well chosen quality woofer also sports low distortion on its own
Personally I prefer the quality thing and dont feel like wasting time and money on cheap drivers no more
But should I choose multiple woofers it would be fore an OB sub, but havent got the space just yet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.