Get a Fluke DMM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anatech said:
You're a wise man Jason.

Don't forget that Ontario, like most provinces, is a mighty large place. I live on the escarpment, so it's pretty up here. Far away from TO and Mississauga but close enough to go there should I have no choice. Any idea where you will land?

-Chris

I'm not realy sure, it would be up to her, Id probably want to go back to school and get my certification for doing home conventional electrical wiring, as i have always wanted to do that. Or become a shaw employee and do home cable systems. Ie wiring. I'm pretty sick of computers, doing it for 14 years its the same thing over and over again.

I'm sure if i moved there we would hang out :) Id be able to hang out with Peter Daniel possibly and George too. I have so many ideas for audio designs just no tools :(

It sux but as life goes on ill gather more and show my creations :)

Jase

MJL21193 said:

...did I hear the crack of a whip?:)

No, sir,, we both agree on things. It's actually really nice. Ive always wanted to move to a bigger city where there is new things to see and learn, i hope to also start some photography stuff. Heather loves Ontario, all her friends are there so well, why not :)

Just a quick vote for Fluke DMM's.

My father has always carried Fluke working for various government contractors, so it was an obvious choice when I bought my own.

When I blew the poor thing up due to over voltage :hot: , it was easy to buy parts for it and with some help from this forum replace the entire front end protection.

Now I'm looking for a couple Fluke bench meters. 8050's or the like. Unfortunately many seem to be in "for parts" condition.

imix500 said:
Just a quick vote for Fluke DMM's.

My father has always carried Fluke working for various government contractors, so it was an obvious choice when I bought my own.

When I blew the poor thing up due to over voltage :hot: , it was easy to buy parts for it and with some help from this forum replace the entire front end protection.

Now I'm looking for a couple Fluke bench meters. 8050's or the like. Unfortunately many seem to be in "for parts" condition.

How much voltage are we talking here ?

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
A Fluke thread :)

Here's my small collection of Fluke bench multimeters.
From the bottom and up: Fluke 45, 8050A, 8012A
I did hook them up to see how close they are, fairly good considering their age (~ 15-20 years).
No calibration has been done since new:rolleyes:

Note: In the picture one digit seems missing on the 45 due to display multiplexing.

Attachments

• fluke.jpg
    fluke.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 316
Upwards of 2kV. I had a power supply (One of those lovely electrophoresis units that can be had for cheap on fleabay) running in current mode and when the load changed unexpetedly output voltage went up a tad. :rolleyes: $50 in parts and I had a working meter again. Not too bad.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Nordic,

Nordic said:
Which Fluke models would you recommend for audio work... you know... voltages.. measuring currents, and resistors...?

I think possible fluke handheld models have been mentioned already in this thread.
A bench DMM has the benefit of taking little space once placed on a shelf and it stays put.
I like fluke 45 as it has TRMS, Dual Display, Frequency Counter and some math functions. The HP that Anatech suggested earlier seems fine to.

By the way, I have one big problem with handhelds, they always seem to get lost somewhere I cannot find them. My old trusty Fluke 77 seems lost forever :(

[/B]I have a fluke repair and calibration outlet around the corner.... how much does it cost to calibrate generally...? [/B]

Can not tell, never done it.

4fun said:
A Fluke thread :)

Here's my small collection of Fluke bench multimeters.
From the bottom and up: Fluke 45, 8050A, 8012A
I did hook them up to see how close they are, fairly good considering their age (~ 15-20 years).
No calibration has been done since new:rolleyes:

Note: In the picture one digit seems missing on the 45 due to display multiplexing.

I'll take the bottom one please :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nordic,
I have a fluke repair and calibration outlet around the corner
This is extremely variable depending where you are it seems. It also matters on what level of service you request.

Speaking from experience, be sure to get a certification with data! I've often seen meters run through for certification only that are a little out of tolerance, but get a pass anyway without being optimized. The entire point is to be able to trust your measurements! I got in trouble often for optimizing meters when they were in for cert only. This is even though I was following the published guidelines. Most technicians are judged on throughput (dollars earned) rather than the quality of their work. It's just like any other business out there.

-Chris

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi anatech. I did that touching you suggested for the METEX M-3650 but nothing happened. No more LCD contrast. Tried to completely open it up because the LCD is socketed and I would like to take it out and put it back in, but the rotary switch is fixed and jams. I will see for a new one, that dc average you mentioned must be the culprit, bcs it has been losing contrast gradually. Its old and served well, it may R.I.P.
One thing I wanted to ask you is what happens if I touch more than 600V DC with Fluke 115 for instance. I do tube circuits and its a very real possibility. It dies instantly? Shows 'over'? If it dies is its service bitterly priced?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Salas,
Often, these meters have a varistor that is intended to break down above the top voltage rating in order to protect the meter (and you). There is normally some device (fuse or resistor) that is designed to open.

In cases where you would reasonably expect to see high voltages, use a high voltage probe designed for the purpose. They will normally plug into your meter jacks and perform a 10:1 attenuation. There used to be some models that were good to about 1,200 VDC peak as I recall. If you need to buy a more expensive model for that feature, it would be less expensive to save up and buy it. Figure how much two or three dead ones are worth.

Finally, you could always purchase a DC voltmeter module from Ebay. Put it in a case with a higher voltage dropping string and calibrate that meter for the one high voltage range. You will need to use higher wattage resistors and a number of them. Watch the maximum voltage ratings for these parts. Use a "safety" banana socket as you've seen on the meters. The probe plug is shrouded with plastic. Take great care to insulate everything from all parts of the casing.

I would much rather you buy the HV probe.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.