Germans build concrete cast 5.1 speaker set

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought you may enjoy this one...

Concrete and wax molds used to make small speakers and sub... Good training wheels for bigger projects.

1-23-07-concrete_speakers.jpg

1-23-07-concrete_speakers4.jpg

1-23-07-concrete_speakers2.jpg

http://propirate.net/betonboxen/

A good way to build some high end cabinets. However, concrete is weak in tensile strength so the walls if that thin should be reinforced with something. Maybe random glass fibers in the mix. IF you drop it it's history.

EDIT: After looking at the pictures again I see that there is a reinforcing mesh around the slug.

Using this technique and some synthetic castable marble would yield really good results. You could also sandwich a brace in between the wax slugs and wrap it in fiberglass to make some reinforcing. The wax can be recycled by pouring it into a retangular mold.

This gives me an idea for the head unit of some three ways that I am going to build. Maybe I will go all out and make a Wilson quality top cabinet.

The unfortunate thing about concrete is that it takes 30 - 90 days for the concrete to reach full strength. But at least you would be knowing that the sound quality would increase for for a period of time.

It would be interesting to see some TL build this way. You coud use thin plastic scraps from the sign shops that are usually sold for 1 dollar a pound for the mold cavity. Then tape them together and brace them and leave one side open. Installing bolt ancors in the cement. Then you have a very good cabinet and one side removable to adjust internal dampening. Which in a TL is very important to get just right.

The density of concrete depends on the mix, but normally it will be similar to aluminium (yes you read it correctly) about 2200 - 2600 kg/m3 for concrete, while aluminium is about 2700-2900 kg/m3

Curing of concrete never stops, at least for the first couple of years, therefore a standard measure in time, 28 days, is taken at which the prescribed strength has to be yielded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.