General purpose shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jan,
nevertheless you care about some hardly mastered distortions utilizing dubious and harmful cancellation technique. You have much time to waste.
I think you may have fallen victim to the notion that 'the output cap is part of the audio circuit'.
Necessarily, it is, would be extremely bizarre if it was not.
The audio signal current also goes through the rectifiers and the xformer.
Right, the rectifiers are especially subversive.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lumba Ogir said:
Jan,
nevertheless you care about some hardly mastered distortions utilizing dubious and harmful cancellation technique. You have much time to waste.

Necessarily, it is, would be extremely bizarre if it was not.

Right, the rectifiers are especially subversive.

Well, I can give you the info , but I can't force you to think.
I respect your believe. Best of luck,

Jan Didden

PMA,
PSU filter caps are not directly in series with signal output; again oversimplification of unqualified amateurs. Give a series resistor of 100 ohm into collector power supply branch of an emitter follower. How does it come that it has output impedance of some 5 ohm still?
Power supply capacitors are in the signal path, one of their purpose is to provide an adequate signal ground and isolation between stages. The function and impact can be demonstrated mathematically (using Thévenin's theorem is suitable), or something simpler, by listening test, replacing the capacitors with another type gives a convincing manifestation.

Lumba Ogir said:
Power supply capacitors are in the signal path, one of their purpose is to provide an adequate signal ground and isolation between stages. The function and impact can be demonstrated mathematically (using Thévenin's theorem is suitable), or something simpler, by listening test, replacing the capacitors with another type gives a convincing manifestation.

I am always eager to learn something new, so please provide those mathematical calculations (based on Thevenin or whatever other theorems you enjoy). Thank you.

How would you explain this, Lumba Ogir?

Attachments

• ef.png
    ef.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 335
PMA,
that capacitor is not infinitely large, its impedance is not zero and changes with frequency, making gain and phase vary, its dielectric absorption and dissipation factor is very typically 4000 times higher than that of polypropylene, add inductance, resonance and so on. This will not give a perfect signal ground, count on dispiriting results even with the most esoteric brands and types. Sonically it means grunge, lack of detail, a smeared and turbid sound. You should at least try to ease your reliance on that blunt-witted toy.

Lumba Ogir said:
PMA,
that capacitor is not infinitely large, its impedance is not zero and changes with frequency, making gain and phase vary, its dielectric absorption and dissipation factor is very typically 4000 times higher than that of polypropylene, add inductance, resonance and so on. This will not give a perfect signal ground, count on dispiriting results even with the most esoteric brands and types. Sonically it means grunge, lack of detail, a smeared and turbid sound. You should at least try to ease your reliance on that blunt-witted toy.

Ok, can we get to the math now?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I only say, if it sounds better to you (forget the ''others'' this is not LOST season 5):D, keep it. If you wanna research what and why, well, get 12 scientists in an expensive lab and fund them for 5 years.;)
Inventing theories is a psychological need, but it can turn in to crude snake oil in the marketing's hands.:devilr:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lumba Ogir said:
PMA and salas,

My comment wasn't directed to you. Its my approach towards subjective VS objective. I do think that I listen to PSU caps clearly too. Especially in unregulated power amp PSUs. But I am not qualified to know why, so I just keep whatever sounds good to me. And if its an illusion, well its a repeatable one to me, so its part of the experience. Fair enough for me. But I think that Syn08 and PMA know their stuff. If they don't know why, I will still hear them caps, but I can't know better than such learned DIY audio members. Off course if I had products out, I would be asked to say why I use this and that to my customers in a ''scientific way'' so I could impress them. If I did not, my marketing would scold me. And if I did, guys like PMA and Syn08 would lough at me by all rights. And since far too many people read brochures than the Solid State section of our forum, I am inclined to believe that far too many urban myths have turned in to standard ''knowledge'' out there. It happens in all walks of life. Social distortion & propaganda. Makes the economic world go round, alas in a non ideal way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.