• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GE6111 Preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Power Supply

It might be easier to use two seperate supplies.

I'm using a small toroid, rectified through 1/2 of a BrianGT gainclone power supply board instead of using the preamp rectifier section. (better filter) This will be the 35v input.

I removed a 6v transformer from a wallwart and modified the other half of the ps board for it. I just used the diode bridge and cap/res pair from the wallwart itself. This gave me enough space at the output end of the board to add a voltage regulator to keep the power at 6.3v to the heater.

Chipamp Power Supply Kit | Chipamp.com

Note: The ps board, when wired for a gainclone is +V~+PGND~-PGND~-V. By using each half seperately, it gives you +v~gnd, which is what this preamp uses.

Last edited:
Testing 6111

Finished this today, as described above, and did a temporary hookup to test it. Connected it to a gainclone and some old Infinity bookshelf speakers. Sounds very nice, no hiss or hum. I left it playing for a while to make sure nothing smoked. :D

I built my gainclone in an old IBM PCjr computer case and there's plenty of room to add this pre inside. I'll add a bypass switch and test it with better speakers.

Attachments

• testing.JPG
    testing.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 415
6N16b tubes would work well in this circuit (they are reportedly far more linear than the 6111 tube) – does anyone have access to a datasheet which is in English?

I think the only real changes we will need to make will be a higher B+ (around 100v), but the resistances should be roughly the same....correct me if I’m wrong. It would be good to reduce the gain on this one a little in order to use it as a gain stage after a DAC (or as a preamp) as there is no need for > 20dB gain.

I used the 6111wa for a run of line stage preamplifiers about 15 years ago, it produced very nice sounding results. Used it off an LCLC filtered HT at around 200V, with a 15K Rp and 220R Rc, certainly not at the low voltages used on this board. Also needed dc for the heaters to avoid hum.
Found that a good number of the 6111 go noisy, mainly hiss, over the first 20 to 30 hours, if they get through that quiet, they remain quiet for good.
I believe Audio Note used them in their Zero range line preamp and DAC and found similar issues with hiss.
If you have too much gain from the board, consider a potential divider at the input.
Best of luck, Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.